Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Contributor
burgesg
My Device: Dev Alpha

Implementing push for large downloads

I'm not a developer, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question:

Is it possible to use push technologies on OS 10 to enable large downloads (3-30MB) to occur in the background while an app is closed? We sell content as in-app purchases. This can take a long time to download and I'd like users to be able to close the app but the download to continue.

If this is possible could you please provide some info which I can pass onto our developers?

Thanks,

George

Please use plain text.
Retired
mdandrea
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Implementing push for large downloads

Hi George,

Yep, it is possible to use push with BlackBerry 10 to start large downloads through your application.  It's typically called a "poke and pull".  You poke your application (using a push) to let it know that it should go download content.  In the push, you would specify the URL of the content that it should go and pull/download. 

As of right now, however, the application must at least be running in the background (it will be visible in the running applications grid) for your application to do this download.  This isn't unique to push.  It's how things currently are in BlackBerry 10. 

Matt

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
burgesg
My Device: Dev Alpha

Re: Implementing push for large downloads

Thanks for the quick response Matt!

Please use plain text.