Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: MDS Simulator and Win7

Yes I followed your steps exactly. Start menu, type cmd and in the list above right click and "run as administrator", navigate to mds path and type run.bat.

Yes it works, but is slow (about 2 mins to get the push) and there is no activity in the MDS simulator cmd window when I access the blackberry browser.

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To error is human, but to really mess things up requires admin rights.

If this post has helped, don't be shy and click the kudo's star !!!
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Did you start the simulator before running this MDS simulator?

Or did you first run the simulator and then the MDS simulator?

Possibly this may cause some errors, here, it makes no difference.

I am running eclipse as an administrator (therefore the simulator also runs as an administrator). Do you also do that?

Developer

I run the MDS Simulator first, then I load Eclipse.  Then I run the BlackBerry Simulator and exit the push listener application and access a web page with the BlackBerry browser.  Finally load the push java sample application and send my push.

I set my Eclipse to always run as an administrator by default.

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Developer

Hi Bullety,

I thought I'd show you exactly what I do when I run the MDS Simulator and push service demo, so I created a video of my screen and uploaded it to youtube.com.  Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryP-LTO9tVM  Check this out and let me know if you see if I am missing something.

Thanks, Brian

Developer

Dear Brian,

Thanks for the video.

There are two differences I noticed:

First of all, you are using the os 4.x simulator - I am using 5.0 as device software.

The second difference is what I described before - I am running eclipse also as an administrator.

Could you please try this?

Developer

Bullety,

You're welcome on the video.  Thought it might help.

OK I switched the push listener demo to use OS 5.0 and tried the BlackBerry Simulator 9550.  Ran MDS simulator as administrator as you suggested.  Ran Eclipse as an administrator via cmd prompt (just like the MDS simulator).  There is no change in the BlackBerry Simulator talking to the MDS simulator (I.e. Nothing happens in the MDS Simulator when I access a web page from the BlackBerry Simulator - although I still get a web page - go figure).  The push is still delayed.

Do you think the BlackBerry simulator needs to be run as an administrator?  Not sure how I would do this as Eclipse normally loads the BB simulator.

Thanks, Brian

Highlighted
Developer

Hmm...If you start eclipse as an administrator, the simulator will also be started as an administrator because it's started by the eclipse (administrator) process.

Sorry, then I do not know where the error might be...

You are using the latest version of the mds simulator and the blackberry plugin right?

I am using net.rim.ejde.componentpack5.0.0_5.0.0.25 as plugin.

Best regards,

Bullety

Developer

Yes I'm using the latest component pack.  I'm using net.rim.ejde.feature.componentpack5.0.0, version 5.0.0.25.  The BlackBerry simulator is what was installed with Eclipse when the component pack was downloaded.  I'm using MDS simulator 4.1.4 as you can see from the video.

I uploaded another video based on running everything as administrator.  Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IqUapBUeg.

It could be possible the error is in the details of the MDS Simulator, maybe something in the settings.

Thank you for your time looking into this and providing suggestions.  I'm going to give you another kudos for your efforts.

Thanks, Brian

Developer

I'm really sorry I couldn't help you out.

I just tested it again and it does not matter if I first start the mds simulator or first the device simulator - in each case both simulators work flawless together...

Possibly there are some logs which you could check, but I am sorry, I can't help you any more.

Thank you for the Kudos,

Best regards,

Bullety

Developer

[ Edited ]

Not a problem.  Thanks so much for your help.  I've been able run WinXP in Win7's XP Mode (virtualizaiton) and it has been working good so far.  The only problem is that it is a little slower then running fully installed, but it works good.

Thanks, Brian