Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

dsc
Contributor
dsc
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: none

No push delivery after re-subscribe

Hi!

We using the Java Push-Server (from blackberry)  and havaing our own Push enabled App. We have just one topic for which one can subscribe. Everthing works fine after you subscribe to that topic.

But now we're facing the following issue:

After we unsubscribe and than again subscribe to the topic, no push will be delivered to the device. We don't close the channel at the device because we're planning to have more topics to subscribe and than this make no sense.

So after some investigation I realized that we need to re-create the channel (createChannel) of the push object and then pushes will be delivered furthermore.

Is this a normal behaviour? Is there any connection between the java push server and the ppg, which tells the ppg that the subscriber with a certain token has unsubscribed his last topic and then the ppg deactivates the push channel?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mdandrea
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: No push delivery after re-subscribe

Hi,

If you unsubscribe with the Push Initiator implemented using the Push Service SDK, yes, it will automatically, under the covers, destroy the channel with the PPG for you. Is this what you were wondering?

Just curious, why would you want to have the channel stay open, but have it unsubscribed with the Push Initiator?

Thanks,

Matt
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
marco_dicesare
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: No push delivery after re-subscribe

When you say "Java Push-Server" are you referring to the Push Service SDK?

http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/platform_services/push_overview.html

How are you unsubscribing to a topic? Is this is purely a message from your push-enabled application the device to your server-side application or are you using the unsubscribe call to the Push Service SDK?

To answer your question, yes, if you are using the Push Service SDK high-level APIs the unsubscribe call on the SubscriptionServiceImpl class will make a call to the PPG to ask it to destroy the channel to ensure there is consistency between the server-side subscription status and the PPG subscription status - it is a best practice to keep these two in-sync as much as possible.

Please use plain text.