Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: OS 10.2.0.424: The app is unable to receive a BES push message once the work space is locked with a password.

sylvainsaintlaurent, I can't speak for BB, and Garett may correct me on this, but I don't think they ever give expected dates.

Given that we only just reported this issue, I think it's highly unlikely we'll see a fix for it in any update released in the next month. You also have to account for the fact that carriers (even the Canadian ones) take weeks if not longer to review new releases.

My gut says you'll have finished your own fix via the headless approach long before we'll see this fixed in a maintenance release.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Re: OS 10.2.0.424: The app is unable to receive a BES push message once the work space is locked with a password.

Haha.... didn't expect a reply from "Lightning Garett" quite so quickly. :-) He beat me to it!

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sylvainsaintlaurent
My Device: Q5 Q10 Z10 Z30 - Developer (since v3.6)
My Carrier: Telus Rogers Bell

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Technically painless, economically painful.

I'm just speechless (and angry) by the fact that they broke that "push" feature (a 10 years-old feature), unable to release a quick hotfix (like the other guys in the room), and I’m the one who has to cover the cost of this mess.

And if after 3-4 weeks of testing, I expose to my users some unknown bugs with the headless thingy, then what?   The user experience will be much better?  Come on, I know it’s your job, but please, no marketing pitch in a dev forum.

On that bombshell, I’ll go pump some iron and think of something.

+

SSL

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

peter9477 wrote:
Oh nice. So the issue of Push apps not registering for launch until the user runs them the first time post-installation is effectively gone, provided you restructure the application to use a headless service as the Push recipient (and provided you are willing to have 10.2 as the minimum platform version).

Hmm... I question whether this is really how it will work.

I just installed the 10.2.1 beta on my Dev Alpha C, and proceeded to install a test version of my app with a long-running service.

I would have expected the service to start (bb.action.system.STARTED) immediately after installation, but it did not. The appdata/ folder for the app was not created either. 

Nothing happened until I tapped on the icon to run it the first time, at which point I got two permission dialogs, one for the app (asking for Shared file access) and then one for the service (asking to be allowed to run in the background).

Would a Push app (which this is not) magically act differently in some way, just because it registers to be invoked by bb.action.PUSH?

This may be my own fault. The service does ask for access_shared. Or maybe there's some other reason. I could easily be doing something wrong.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Long running headless applications are not auto started.  You'll need to use the bb.action.system.STARTED for it to be auto run.

Triggers

Sorry, ignore that.  Re-read your message and see you are already using the started trigger.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Sorry for the late reply here.  I verified that startup trigger should be running when the application installs.  How is this application being installed?  What OS version are you testing on?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi again,

Not sure how your progress converting to a headless app is coming, but I converted my SimplePushClient sample over to headless and have attached it here. I'm still making some tweaks before I will be able to post to Git, but hopefully this helps with your own Push app development.

Any feedback is very appreciated.

Cheers,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FusedAir
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

Happy New Year!

I just wanted to check in to see if anyone knew when we might see this issue resolved with an OS Update?

It's now been about 2.5 months since this topic was started, and I'm still unable to push data to a device when the workspace is locked. Our IT policy enforces a workspace policy, and this was completely functional with 10.1, so it looks like it's gone a bit backwards.

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

FusedAir wrote:

Happy New Year!

I just wanted to check in to see if anyone knew when we might see this issue resolved with an OS Update?

It's now been about 2.5 months since this topic was started, and I'm still unable to push data to a device when the workspace is locked. Our IT policy enforces a workspace policy, and this was completely functional with 10.1, so it looks like it's gone a bit backwards.

Thanks,

Hi there,

No fix yet, it could be a few months still. I did create and post a headless app example which should work well even when the Work Perimeter is locked, you could use the same headless logic in your app:

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples/tree/master/SimplePushClient/10.2.1

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FusedAir
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

I was told by our BlackBerry rep this morning (while attending Connect 2014 on Orlando) that this issue is fixed in the 10.2.1.x OS updated. Coincidentally, I received the notification that this release was available for my device just a few hours earlier.

So, I updated my OS, and now the device receives data even while the workspace is locked! This is great news, have tested multiple times and it definitely works. There is no longer a prompt to enter my workspace PW, the data just arrives to the device. (you now switch between personal and work via the top menu, works great).

My OS is now 10.2.1.537 with Rogers.

Regards,

Please use plain text.