Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Contributor
mnwaogu
My Device: Curve 8500
My Carrier: Airtel NG

Push Evaluation Support

Hello All, I've been reading quite alot of posts on this topic because I'm new to the whole push developement thing. Some how none seem to answer to my problems though similar to many I've seen on this forum.

I'd successfully setup a BES server sometime in the past and some kids think it qualifies me to develop for it.

Anyways, I'm developing for sending push info, message type and browser types to devices local to our BES and those outside. I've even registered with RIM and gotten my details via mail. Downloaded a popular PHP script and a JAVA script, for pushing to the evaluation URL. and they both return the same message but the message never gets to the device pins I've tried.

Some specific help is need here, nothing suggests I'm doing something wrong. Appreciate any and all help(er(s)).

Response CODE: 1001
Response DESC: The request has been accepted for processing.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Push Evaluation Support

Are you trying to push through the BIS or BES?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnwaogu

Sorry Garett, I'm not sure I understand which one. My main aim is to get the message from the PHP page script I downloaded to the device which I'd specified in the downloaded script.

I've registered for the evaluation and was given my details. The devices I'm sending to are on BES on different mobile network providers. I hope I make sense, I'm not exactly a very skilled programmer.

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

If you are only pushing to users of a single BES then you should use the BES only push, no reason to push using BIS.

What type of data are you trying to push?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnwaogu

I'm trying to push a plain text message to the browse port as specified in the php script.

Perhaps you can explain to me how to specify either of the two, BES and BIS.

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Do you have a client-side application? Could you explain the overall goal of the push? That may help clarify which approach should be taken.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnwaogu

No, I haven't a client side application yet.

My main objective is to get messages to the browser application which I believe is open on most devices if not all.

For now, I'm to ensure that I can send plain text or binary messages to that port on any device whether registered on our BES server, or any other.

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

That's not going to be an easy task without some decent development background.

Pushing to the Browser requires a specially formatted push and is *only* supported through the BES. If Pushing through the BES then you must be on the same network as the BES, meaning you will not likely be able to push to "any other" BES outside of your corporate network.

As well pushing to the browser does not allow simple text or arbitrary binary data, only web content and cache to be pushed. So unless this is what you are trying to do, let's stick with your end goal.

What is the desired functionality of this application? Do you only wish to push web icons (web site shortcuts)?

Will you have a client application eventually? If so, what will its purpose be?

Will you only send pushes to devices within your corporate infrastructure?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mnwaogu

Thanks for sheding some light on this Garett.

I'm not quite privy to the long term goals, however, I'll attempt to answer all your questions.

The current service is to have mobile tickets sent to these devices which in most cases will be devices outside our corporate network.

There will definitely be a client application, but I'm not privy to its full functionalities, I'm sure it would be something along the same lines though.

What is allowed and how does one implement such a push to devices outside ones coporate network?

Are pushing web shortcuts the only allowed in this category?

Mike Nwaogu

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Hi Mike,

So first thing, if pushing outside of your own network you will need to use BIS push. As you're using BIS push you cannot push to the browser and will need a client-side application installed to the device to test this out. There is a sample client included with the Push Service SDK however it does require some modifications so I would strongly recommend looping in a resource with Java development expertise.

Once the client is registered you should be able to start receiving pushes sent from your server-side.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.