07-19-2012 02:04 PM
Managed to get the demo app fail again, very quickly this time.
1. Loaded SamplePushEnabledApp5_0.cod to two devices: 8900 (OS 5), 9810 (OS 7) . Initially not present on devices.
2. Both successfully registered to DebugPortal running at local server
3. Both devices successfully receiving pushes, both from DebugPortal and custom PHP script
4. Waited for some minutes
5. Client 9810 missed a PHP script push.
6. Client 9810 received a DebugPortal push
At that point I thought it was some problem with the PHP script, even it always receives RC 1001 from the PPG. But then...
7. Client 9810 does not receive any push message anymore from any place.
- Tried turning on and off all radios, no luck. BIS icon is ON at the status bar.
- Both devices show as ACTIVE at the PPG. Queried through DebugPortal.
- 8900 still seems to work fine.
8. Chose "register" option again in demo app at 9810 device.
9. Received successfull registration message
10. 9810 does not receive pushes. Tested DebugPortal push and custom push with same result:
- PPG RC=1001
- Network activity on the phone
- Client app not showing new pushes
11. Unregistered on 9810, then registered: no luck
07-19-2012 02:16 PM
12. Rebooted 9810
13. No pushes. Re-registered: no-pushes
Using 100% RIM supplied software at client & server.
All other push enabled apps like email and Facebook work flawlessly.
I hope all this information helps. I've found numerous undocumented OS issues throughout the last 3 years, and though I can't conclude nothing as this issue depends on several parts (client, server and RIM infrastructure), I would like either to read a concluding statetement to start seeking another solution, be provided with a 100% working sample, or shown 3rd party push enabled apps at the App World that work flawlessly with 5.0 API.
Thanks for support.
07-19-2012 02:17 PM
Could you *please* try running a subscription query on the eval server and respond with the results?
07-19-2012 02:23 PM
I've got no problem running tests for the sake of finding a solution.
Subscriber query results: ACTIVE
Status at PPG: INACTIVE
Remember demo app said "Successfully registered"
07-19-2012 02:29 PM
Attached screenshot is 10 minutes before app started failing. Somehow it gets de-registered at the PPG.
07-19-2012 03:18 PM
Thanks for confirming. This lets at least explains why the device is not receiving data.
I'd suggest building the sample application using the 4.3+ APIs rather than the 5.0 APIs. If this works then it would be an issue with the 5.0 APIs. If it still de-registers then we will need to try some tests eliminating the app as the cause for the de-registration.
07-19-2012 03:27 PM
Sure will do.
In the meantime, is there any paid program I can purchase for 100% reliability?
Push Plus? I suppose there are 3rd party apps out there which are working good.
Our custom app has a very short delivery deadline.
07-19-2012 03:29 PM
We will need to determine what the root cause is first. This could also be an issue with the EVAL server, but again I don't want to commit to a cause until we get more testing to narrow the cause.
Push Plus uses the same services as Push Essentials but has more functionality built in.
07-19-2012 03:51 PM
This time using SamplePushEnabledApp4_6.cod. Removed previous 5.0 version, rebooted device, and installed.
8900: Works fine
9810: Stopped receiving push notifications after first successful try. Network indicator shows activity. PPG status: ACTIVE. Tried both DebugPortal and custom script for push initiation.
07-19-2012 03:52 PM
Please perform a subscription query on the PPG and respond with the resturned results.