Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Push Messages Not Delivered Anymore.. However setup seems okay.. It worked before.

Good investigating! Could you try a custom script to see what is getting sent down to the device?

You could also try pushing a bunch of differently formatted messages from the DebugPortal to see what happens. Perhaps there is a character combination being sent in the message that does not agree with the device.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Push Messages Not Delivered Anymore.. However setup seems okay.. It worked before.

Yes. I've been running the same script for several days, always getting 1001 from PPG. Here what it's sending to the device. I'm pasting complete content as sent to the PPG, marking bold the push message content which reachs the BB.

8900: Still working fine...

9810: Not even an error message in the demo app log. Some network activity is shown (arrows) but for shorter than before. The 4.6 app works even worse than 5.0 version.

About the DebugPortal, I'm trying random text strings for the push content, like "a", "q", "qw", "adfadfds" 

I don't think that's an issue.

Thanks.

--mPsbVQo0a68eIL3OAxnm
Content-Type: application/xml; charset=UTF-8

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE pap PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD PAP 2.1//EN" "http://www.openmobilealliance.org/tech/DTD/pap_2.1.dtd">
<pap>
<push-message push-id="1342733040.1273" deliver-before-timestamp="2012-07-19T21:29:00Z" source-reference="2690-............"><address address-value="push_all"/><quality-of-service delivery-method="unconfirmed"/>
</push-message>
</pap>
--mPsbVQo0a68eIL3OAxnm
Content-Type: text/plain
Push-Message-ID: 1342733040.1273

{'type':'alert','content':'This is a test'}
--mPsbVQo0a68eIL3OAxnm--

Please use plain text.
New Developer

So far, I think there is some good material to work on. Below is a resume of what we've seen lately. I think it's important to remark that

- Every piece of software has been taken from the SDK

- Two devices with same app behave differently

- RIM built apps get push messages flawlessly

- System initially works, then fails after a while

5.0 API:  Status suddenly changes to INACTIVE at PPG. App returns ACTIVE locally.

4.3+ API:  Getting "Failed to read push message, caused by null" at demo app log

Hoping a prompt and definitive response, in order to keep insisting with the push API or looking for an alternative.

It would be also good if you can present a working 3rd party example from the App World to add a new variable in my tests.

Sincerely,

L.

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

luciano wrote:

4.3+ API:  Getting "Failed to read push message, caused by null" at demo app log

What line is throwing this? Debugging would be a great way to get more info on what is occurring and see the full trace.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Developer

PushLib43.java, lines 180-184 . Throwing an exception with little descriptive null message.

I've attached file from the Push API SDK.

while( running ) {
try {
Object o = socket.acceptAndOpen();
conn = (HttpServerConnection) o;
inputStream = conn.openInputStream();
pushInputStream = new MDSPushInputStream( conn, inputStream );
PushMessageReader.process( pushInputStream, conn );
} catch( Exception e ) {
if( running ) {
Logger.warn( "Failed to read push message, caused by " + e.getMessage() );
running = false;
}
} finally {
PushUtils.close( conn, pushInputStream, null );
}
}

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

4 lines are throwing an exception? Could you dig down to see the exact line throwing the message? You should also be able to discern the actual line causing the issue as well (examine the data it is receiving).

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Developer

I don't think 4 lines can throw an exception at the same time. I also think BB OS should now throw Exceptions with null messages. What do you think?

Before continuing debugging RIM's own software. Can you confirm the 5.0 demo will work providing I find the exact problem on the 4.3 demo ?

I do not intend to use the 4.3 API. 

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

It *should* work. In the world of dev, nothing is guaranteed, but it seems there are a few issues you ae seeing:

1) De-registration from the PPG

2) The NULL exception

This will at least let us find the root cause of #2

No, only one line of code can throw an exception, I was confused because you said 4 lines were throwing it :smileywink:. Once you debug and examine the reason for the exception being thrown it should make much more sense why it is being thrown as "null".

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Developer

Garett, I really appreciate your continued replies, as it seems this is not a trivial issue. But let's not steer too much away from the original problem.

I started testing 4.3 version because you told me to do so and I'm willing to help. But the 4.3 API is not an option for me because you have to leave the app running in background.

Let's focus on 5.0 . Is there any additional testing I can perform in order to know the exact cause of sudden PPG de-registration?

Additionally, can you provide a 3rd party example to add in my tests? 

Sincerely,

L.

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom

As I stated in my last email there are really 2 issues, the 4.3 APIs provide a better portal to troubleshooting issue #2, which is why I am asking you to debug to find the root cause which may help with understanding why you ae seeing the issue with the 5.0 APIs.

I don't have a list of apps that use these APIs, the apps are submitted as COD files and releasing which apps use which APIs would not be good for IP. I would suggest posting it as a general question to the community.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.