Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: Airtel

Push Notification - Display Message

Is it possible that, even if i close my app, which is Push Service enabled, and the device still recieve the notification, and it is not even running in the background..

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Push Notification - Display Message

Yes, if a push comes in, and the application is closed (i.e. not running) then it will launch the application to the background.

For BlackBerry 10, you would have to "register to launch" or call launchApplicationOnPush (for WebWorks) to see this behaviour.

Matt

New Contributor

I am currently developing Push notification for BB OS <7, Can you give me how to implement this procedure for the older OS

Retired

This is the default behaviour in BB OS 7 and lower.

New Contributor

But when i close the app, and try to send the notification from the server, the application is not recieving it

Retired

There's nothing off the top of my head that I can think of that would be preventing it.

Are you coding in Java?

You could check out this guide to help you figure out what's going on:

http://developer.blackberry.com/java/documentation/developing_push_enabled_app.html

New Contributor

Yes, i am coding in Java, and at our organization here, we target OS 4.7+, so right now i am working for 4.7, do you think that could be the issue?

In the mean time i will look into the link that you mentioned

Retired

No, it should work.  Are you getting pushes successfully when the app is open and running?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will tell you what i did

I created a non-ui app which listens to the notifications sent from the server, and it runs in the background, and displays the notifications globally, which frees the main application, and on the click on the notification, the main app is launched, which allows the device to b free on some RAM space as the the heavy(main) app is not running, only the non ui app is running which takes very less memory space.This also save a lot of trouble, as implementing push notification in other apps will also be simplified.The non-ui app automatically gets installed in the device along with the main app.

Just tell me  that is this approch correct or is there any other better option?

Thanks,

Rubil

Retired

The approach we generally recommend is to create a push-enabled application complete with UI.

When a push comes in, process it, create your notification (if you need to) and then exit your application.

This saves device resources and there is no permanent application running in the background.

Matt