Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Contributor
ElGriego
My Device: 9520

Re: Push Notifications through BES/BIS

But the problem seems to be when i try to connect to the sample server right?

From the loggings i cant really understand if the problem is in the connection between sample server-sample client , sample server - BIS or sample client - BIS.

Please use plain text.
Retired
mdandrea
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I think the issue is that you can't reach your own Push Initiator box during registration.

Unfortunately, our Push Demo sample requires this in the registration while other push applications only require you register with the BIS PPG.

I'm not sure if there are other samples out there that you can look at if you are unable to get a public IP for your Push Initiator.

The register to Push Initiator piece is there because it shows how to communicate the token/PIN you have to push to back to your Push Initiator.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ElGriego
My Device: 9520

[ Edited ]

Can you explain me why the push initiator should be set in a public ip , for my developing purposes?

All i know , is that i need to have my server and the device i am using to the same network (same wifi) so that they can connect to each other. Not to mention that i dont think everyone has a public ip / public server especially with tomcat. I thought that the examples/samples given would run just fine in any pc.

Because the server is not in public ip doesnt mean also that it shouldnt connect with the BIS server. My server should be able to make http requests to the BIS server and get responses.

The only thing that shouldnt work , would be me trying to register for push through a different network than my push iniator. Right? I dont understand the message "subscribe failed , caused by could not connect to : my_Ip". This seems like the device cant connect to the push initiator , but i can see the push initiator through the device web browser.

I think the problem has to do something with the SSL connection.. Cause even from the browser it gives me a warning about the certificate. Maybe thats why? And why is an SSL connection in the first place?

Last , i am using the client sample . If that doesnt work what could i possibly do? Write my own sample? Based on what? The non-working sample?

Thanks a lot for your responses :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Retired
mdandrea
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

The reason why you might be able to access your computer's IP from your device is that it's accessing it over your BES.

The Java Push Demo sample enforces the use of an externally accessible Push Initiator to promote best practices.  In your own app, you will need a mechanism to share the token from your registration on the device with your Push Initiator.

I understand that this might not be ideal for your testing scenario.  There might be other samples out there that you can use if you want to confirm that push works on your device but, at some point, you will likely want to implement this best practice anyways.

Just as a side note, for the samples for BlackBerry 10 we have made this "register with an externally accessible Push Initiator" practice optional so that you can test scenarios such as yours easier.

Matt

Please use plain text.