Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Push architecture with tomcat

[ Edited ]

Hello

I just want some comments on about how I am thinking on how to implement push notifications for my app.  I am not used to setup servers and before I spend too much time,  I just want to know that I am not doing something completely wrong. I am also new to BlackBerry. My organization, in which I am trying to implement push messages, are using a BlackBerry Enterprise server

I already have a .net server which acts as my backend.

I will install the push sdk together with tomcat and mysql on a new server. This server should act as a push server for multiple applications.

When I want to notify my push-enabled clients that there are new data on my .NET server, I guess my server should make a HTTP request to my push server. My .NET server most specify which application that has new data so that the push server will know which clients should be notified. As far as I understand the push sdk + tomcat server installation will handle the push clients registrations and will therefore have a database with all the client ids. So I guess there most be some kind of an application id also on each registration entry?

My clients most call my .NET server which then will call my Push server to register for push messages. I need some extra information from my clients, that's why my clients don't call the push server directly.

If I choose to use all the standard settings, which ports needs to be open in my firewall?

I don't need to add any extra code to the push sdk right? I mean it should be ready to use out of the box after I have added an application in the tomcat setup.

To make it work with the BlackBerry Enterprise server, all I need is to add the username and password in the application setup, right?

any comments, tips would be appreciated.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Push architecture with tomcat

The Push Service SDK will handle device registrations and HTTP pushes all in itself, you don't need another server or middleware when using the SDK.

If targeting BES as well you would need to configure the SDK for that as well. There are more changes needed than just adding a username and password. Using BIS push you can reach both BES and BIS users, so unless you have a very specific use case I would say stick with just BIS push.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor

thanks for your reply

Right now I get an error when I try to register from the sample app installed on my device:

"The PPG URL was considered invalid or missing during the create channel"

I am entering the server ip from the server where I installed the SDK

Security is very important in my case, so that is why I have choosen to use BES push.

Retired

Both BES and BIS push are very secure, it really comes down to your use case. If your app will only ever work for one company, or your app will be distributed (ex sold) to corporations with a client and server then BES is a good option.

If your app is planning to target both consumer and enterprise, then BIS will get you both with one centralized implementation.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor

The app will only be used by the same company, so we want to use the BES

Do you know what steps are necessary to configure the BES to manage push messages?

My problem is that I dont know which URL to enter in the push sample app.

I have setup a push server, but I guess the communication most go through the BES somehow?

Do I need to register the push server somewhere?

Retired

You would need to push through the BES MDS instance, but it depends what version of BES you are using, do you know?

Here's a server and client sample for BES push:

https://github.com/blackberry/BES10-Cascades/tree/master/ServerNotify

There's no need to register your server, it should just work as is.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor

We are using  Version 10.1.2.6

The clients will be developed with WebWorks btw