Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Push message don't arrive after device reboot

Hi guys,

I'm using Push API fro 5.0+ OS devices.

I found one issue with current app - when I restart the device on the app start I see that Push status is active. But my device never receives push messages anymore. Should I reregister push every device reboot? 

Thanks,

Eugen 

Developer

Re: Push message don't arrive after device reboot

Even when I reregister app on the device startup push doesn't come. Could anyone confirm?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes, I have run into very similar issues.  It is frustrating to see the status as Active and yet be unable to receive the messages via OnMessage.  In my case, sometimes the registration does work and I can receive messages until I reboot or start debugging with Eclipse (or whatever causes it to fail; it could be something else).

Bottom line: Why isn't OnMessage triggered when OnStatusChange return an "Active" response? 

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I'd think if the status is Active it would always works. 

Testing on a Blackberry 9550 v.5.0.0.1015.

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi guys,

I have a similar issue. Push notifications arrive on the device OK until the device is hard rebooted. Then even a forced re-registration does not rectify the issue.

The only fix I have is to delete and re-install the application.

Thanks for any advice.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

On device reboot it might be a good idea to try and first to a de-register and then register to really "force" a re-regisration to happen if you are noticing problems. Not sure if this is a good idea when you app goes live.

Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I have options to unregister and re-register on my UI. After using these options a few times it sometimes starts working again, but this is not reliable.

My client thinks it is registered as the PushApplicationRegistry returns STATUS_ACTIVE. I have a server side module that calls "https://pushapi.eval.blackberry.com/mss/PD_cpSubQuery" with a "subscriptionquery-message" and this also returns that my subscription is active.

So both server and client think it is active, but the messages do not arrive on the client. I know this as I am watching the log entries for net.rim.blackberry.api.push and there is no activity on the device when the message should arrive.

What could be causing this? Is there something on the Blackberry server that might be suspending the messages?

Developer

Hi,

Looks like I found some workaround which works for mine problematic device:

1) Register app for pushes after device powered up

2) Deregister push after getting status ACTIVE

3) Register app again in 3 seconds

Second status ACTIVE is received almost immediately and app starts receiving pushes in 40-50 seconds (but probably it's our server issue).

Could you confirm that this workaround works for you?

Thanks,

Eugen

Developer

Actually that workaround worked only for 5.0 OS devices. Currently, after several days of logging and investigation, I deiscovered that app on different OS is telling that it has active push but it doesn't receive any messages.

And actually mostly all cases were fixed by manually toogling on/off push setting in the app. I think this is really unreliable.

Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the suggested workaround, I gave it a go. As you are finding out, this kind of solution appears to work for a while but ultimately is not reliable (I've tried a few variations myself before now!).

Manually toggling the setting in our app sometimes fixes it, sometimes breaks it, other times it comes to life after a while without intervention (I do have a poll timer checking status every 6 hours, maybe something to do with that).  But still no reliable solution.

Out of interest, are you on the eval server or the production server? We are moving to the production server soon and I'm kind of hoping this improves things. Of course, still looking for the bug in my own code - it's hard to believe the BlackBerry side would be this unreliable or nobody would be using it. 

Developer

We are on the production servers. No solutions here also. 

The server implemented already request to send test push. And the client will definatelly know if it's on the push. In case of not we are going to pull.