Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Push message ordering

Hello,

I'm just starting developing using RIM MDS Push and have a question regarding the order in which push messages are received on the device.  I'm building a stateful protocol on top of MDS Push, so the order of message arrival can be important.

If I send message A before message B to MDS, is there any sort of guarantee that message A will arrive on the device before message B does?  If not, is there anything that can be done?

Thanks!

Developer

Re: Push message ordering

No, as far as I know, the MDS (BES push) nor does the BIS push guarantee order of delivery. If it's important to your application then you need to home brew a solution. You can include HTTP headers with each push message as part of the content that get forwareded to the device - consider using a custom http header with your message sequence and on the device side use that http header to order your messages properly. Of course you'll need to potentially deal with a  missing sequence.

New Developer

Thanks!  My protocol has some sort of guarantee, it's just for curiosity.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

I have an application that receives anywhere from 10-20 pushes at a time.  I also need the pushes to be in the same order.  I have run this app hundreds of times and the data always comes in the same order as the push.  This is my experience.

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To error is human, but to really mess things up requires admin rights.

If this post has helped, don't be shy and click the kudo's star !!!
Developer

They may be in order most of the time but I know they don't guarantee message delivery order so if its critical that your app gets messages in a proper sequence code it into your own app.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

If you know that there is no gurantee (eventhough experience may show that order is maintained), you can alway send an "index counter" or timestamp with each message sent, and if the client has a bunch of messages to process, they can sort them on this counter or timestamp to increase the probability of FIFO.