Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Contributor
demonmaker
My Device: Developer, Playbook, Curve 9300, Torch 9800

Re: Push no longer working after upgrading from BES 4 to BES Express 5

We got back with support. They detemrined that we were using MDS-IS and needed to change our apps to use MDS-CS. I cannot find any examples on how to switch, or any examples that specifically use MDS-CS. Could you point me in the right direction?

Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

MDS-IS (MDS Runtime) applications were end-of-lifed back a few years ago and never supported devices above 4.7 I believe. Also, Push only ever occurred through MDS-CS.

From the server side you still need to just push to MDS-CS for it to work. If you were doing Push in 4.0 then it would be the same process, barring any config changes and network issues, for 5.0.

As there are no app changes required you would need to work with server support to determine why this is failing, there is nothing more that can be done from the dev side.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor
demonmaker
My Device: Developer, Playbook, Curve 9300, Torch 9800

I just got off of the phone with Level 2 BES tech support. According to them, it is not possible for me to push data from my web service through the BES Express 5.0.3 to a phone. He said MDS Integration Services was required to do that and since that was phased out because it "wasn't a popular feature," I would have to find another method of pushing data to the phone.

Our plan is to move the necessary users back to BES 4 for now, build a 5.0.1 BES and link that up with the 5.0.3 BES Express and then move the users back to the 5.0.3 BES and let the 5.0.1 BES handle the pushing to the phones on 5.0.3.

Does this sound like it could possibly work? Is there any other way to send data directly to the phone?