Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Super Contributor
pg1181
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Push notifications and wifi

Hi,

I have two testing devices (both Torch 9800) at the office, one with a data plan and one without.

The one with the data plan receives push notifications fine. But the one without, even when connected to wifi, doesn't receive pushes at all.

This doesn't bother me too much as I'm guessing most of our clients have a data plan (which I'm assuming is required for pushes), but my question is:

If someone with a data plan is connected to wifi, will they get push notifications?? Does it matter what transport message is used when registering the client device for BIS pushes?? Or does the transport method only matter when receiving pushes?? Maybe both??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Push notifications and wifi

Hi pg1181,

This is my understanding of the matter. To get push notifications, you have to have access to the BlackBerry network, which you can only do with a BlackBerry data plan. But so long as you have an active BlackBerry data plan, you will continue to get push notifications whether you are connected via the cellular network, or via wifi.

Without a BlackBerry data plan, there is no way for RIM to push the messages to your phone, and thus apps will rely on polling to get new notifications. So you will only be notified of updates,messages, etc. on the scheduled polling period (dependent on the app's refresh interval).

I hope this info helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danguito
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Hello,

I registered to push services of RIM and i succedded to receive push in my application when BIS is enabled.

Recently, i discovered that in some appplication like, WhatsApp, we can receive push notification when wifi is enabled for the blackberry event the card sim is not inserted in this phone (that means no BIS or BES is enalbed).

We want this functionality to our company.

Do you know what is solution to receive the push notification over the wifi wihout the BIS neither BES in the blackberry phone?

I'm sorry if my english is so bad.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

I will need to double-check that as that's not my understanding of the matter. But that said, I would also recommend posting your question in a new thread to ensure maximal exposure. :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Betsy_Robert
My Carrier: None

Hello,

Im just curious if there is a solution available to send push notifications over Wifi as danguito had asked.

I have been testing trying to test push notifications on Blackberry but haven't found found a way to do it without the need of BIS to be enabled.

Please use plain text.