Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Contributor
evanwheeler
My Device: Developer
Accepted Solution

Pushing without BIS/BES

Hi all,

I'm a prospective Blackberry developer working on my first BB application.

The application will recieve push data from a third-party push service like Xtify or Urban Airship. If it's possible, I'd like to get it to work on Webworks. I'm kind of confused as to how it all works and my research hasn't really cleared anything up, so I have a few questions:

1) What Blackberry services do I need to send the push? For example, when registering the app, Urban Airship and Xtify apparently need the Push Essentials package. Do I need anything else? Do the push services handle everything with RIM?

2) Is a Blackberry-specific data plan (I assume these are BIS and BES) required to make the push work over 3G? For that matter, is 3G on Blackberry run through BIS, or is it independent of it?

3) Will a Webworks app even accept pushes from a third party? Neither Xtify nor Urban Airship say anything about working with Phonegap or Webworks. Both examples for Xtify and Urban Airship are for Blackberry Java and seem to require the application to register with Urban Airship or Xtify. The Webworks API has a OpenPushListener() method; is all I need to start recieving pushes to my application?

Any input is welcome - thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Pushing without BIS/BES

Hi,

Let's start by discussing Push a bit more: at its base Push is an XML payload sent to the RIM infrastructure which is then sent down to the target BlackBerry smartphone. The transport to the device is entirely handled by the RIM infrastructure so all you need to do is send the push.

Any service/language that can post XML data can send pushes

In order to receive the push the device must have a BIS data connection

WebWorks apps can receive pushed data, the API documentation has great information on how this can be done. 

I hope that clears things up a bit, but if not just let me know.

Cheers,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.