Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Developer
antas512
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Idea

Requirements to make a Push Application

Hi ,

I want to develope a Push Application. Please consider everything in JAVA perpective right from Server to CLient.

The application is required to send a HTML file to BlackBerry (BB) devices.

After reading the various PDFs I get that I need following things:

• A server application to send request to BB Push server.
  • A push server to send the file futher to BB devices.
  • A BB device client application to receive the files.

My question is do I need to code something for BB Push Server? (excluding the coding for device PIN in Server application)

Do I need to install the BB Push Server SDK?

If I don't have a BB server where can I test my application?

From where can I get the demo application, which does not uses PHP (Servlet/Swing instead)?

I am using following configuration:

BB Device Simulator, SDK, MDS Simulator (all 4.6.0_4.6.0.16)

Eclipse 3.4.2

BB Push Server SDK 1.0.0.5.

Thanks in Advance!

Please use plain text.
Developer
massimo_olive
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Requirements to make a Push Application

You need two things:

1) A server-side application

2) A client-side/device application

RIM provides the push server - for public/BIS you use the BlackBerry Push Service (BPAS) and for enterprise/BES you would use a BES/MDS-CS.

The BB Push Server SDK 1.0.0.5 will help you write your server-side application.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

massimo_olive, right you are. Just wanted to add that writign server side app, using BB PUSH SDK is not that great as this framework is not easy customized. Anyway you can take any of the examples/samples and build your own solution on top of it.

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Please use plain text.
New Developer
antas512
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Idea

Thanks ! massimo_olive & sonicboom boy for your help..
Please use plain text.
Developer
massimo_olive

I found the SDK very customizable actually. It's designed with IOC principles and Spring which couldn't be easier to customize. There is a learning curve as with an SDK but once I understood it saved me a lot of time.
Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

the unpleasant thing for me is that if you want just a simple push app to send messages you have to install and configure all that stuff: mysql,spring,config files , etc....

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Please use plain text.
Developer
massimo_olive

Not necessarily. The SDK can be used with MySQL and Tomcat but it can also be used at a low-level to just give you a thin layer of Java in front of PAP XML which is handy too. You just need the pap.jar and commons.jar in your classpath. It does use Spring but there is nothing to install for Spring, you just include spring.jar in your classpath too.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
snarasimhan

Hi All,

I have a similar query,

I need to create a push enabled application. So what is the exact procedure that I need to follow, with what I have read in the forums I know the following:

1. We need to create a server application that send the request to BB Push server.

My Question: Do we have to register with RIM to be able to send requests to the BB push server? I was told once we register with RIM for PUSH service, we are provided a URL and PORT, to which the PUSH requests have to be routed in our server application. Is that how it needs to be done?

2. We need to create a push enabled client application. Thats our application which resides on the phone that receives the push notifications.

My Question: What exactly has to be done in the application to be able to receive the PUSH messages from the Server? In the sample app provided bundled with the JDE, the client application listens to a particular port "100" for any incoming Push messages, is that how we need to do it in our application? Because, on iPhone, we dont have write any specific code for the phone app to receive the PUSH msgs, all we need to do is enable the PUSH service for the application. Or is the client side application required for phone apps for v 5.0 and below?

Please let me know the exact procedure to be able to get the push notifications running.

Regards,

Suhas

Please use plain text.
Developer
massimo_olive

>> Do we have to register with RIM to be able to send requests to the BB push server?

Yes, there is an online form to fill out. RIM will provide you with an applicaiton id and password and the URL to their servers where you need to send your push request. They use the PAP XML spec for communication. They will also give you the port to listen on for your client application

>> is that how we need to do it in our application?

Ultimately yes. You need to create a listener on a port for the push messages. The 5.0 OS has a push.api package that makes writing client applicaiton a lot easier. But if you want your applicaiton to work on devices with OS 4.6 and older then you need to hand code the listener for now. The Push Service SDK ships with some client sample code for different versions of the OS.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
raorepalle

Can Any one provide me sample Push notification client and server?

Thanks,

Venkat

Please use plain text.