Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Contributor
davebrown14445
My Carrier: O2

Simple sending of a message from a web server to a BlackBerry device

I am new to BlackBerry and new to developing with BlackBerry.

I have spent half a day trying to find the answer to this but I am having difficulty.

I simply want to be able to send a message to a BlackBerry device from a web server.

As an example you might tell me to use the url:

http://www.blackberry.com/api/send_message?pin=12345678&message=hello+this+is+a+message.

(I can then code a server-side script to use it)

Is this possible?

Also, if this is possible, I'm guessing it's done by using the phone's unique pin. Is it possible to do it with the phone's mobile phone number?

Also, I initially wanted to send a message to BlackBerry Messenger. Can this be done, as I suppose sending to the phone's pin isn't really sending it in BlackBerry Messenger.

I don't want to do anything with the Java-based apps at the moment, I only want to create / send the messages from a web service / server-side script.

Thanks for any help. I really have found it difficult to understand the BlackBerry way. Everything seems to need something downloading (and apparently I need Windows, not a Mac). I'm sure I am mistaken and things are easier than this though.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
crispyoz

Re: Simple sending of a message from a web server to a BlackBerry device

You can push to a device using the deveice PIN, you can't do it using the phone number. You need to be subscribed to the BIS service, check the developer portal for details on how to do this (https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/services).  BIS will accept WAP 2.0 so can push using any script/language that can create WAP 2.0 XM and handle HTTP POST

---------------------------

Press LIKE if I helped you and SOLVED if this solved your problem

Please use plain text.