Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Using GCM application server for BB push

Hello all!

I'm currently in the works of porting an Android app to BB10. This app supports push notifications and I want to port these to BB10 too. I understand the client side handling pretty good now. What I wonder is though:

On the "Creating Push.enabled Android apps" page it says "a similar web request". Then here in the forums and the push SDK it talks about the PAP format. So, the question is: What changes do I actually need to make to my application server to push correctly? The page lacks a lot of info about that topic... From reading the page I would assume I just switch out the URL to the BB one and be set. But now I guess that`s not the case?

If we really have to use a completely different format for the push initiator, then this should be documented there. Cause it would mean that we need to actually implement it from scratch.

Thanks,

Max

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Using GCM application server for BB push

The format you send should be identical - the only difference is to send it to BlackBerry servers instead of GCM. The only tricky part is knowing which type of device the user is on.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead
New Contributor
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: None

Re: Using GCM application server for BB push

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to check out the evaluation then. Might be good to include that info in the documentation Smiley Wink