Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

feh
New Contributor
feh
My Device: none

general information regarding push

Hi folks!

My company has written an application for iphones, where our server pushes notifications to iphones via the Apple push service. We want to mirror that functionality for BlackBerry devices.

I've been poking around the BlackBerry site...I'd really like to find a BlackBerry employee that I could ask questions of, but didn't really find a way to contact somebody. I have several questions regarding the BB push service. The first couple:

What group do we need to join within BlackBerry to get started, if any?

What is the cost and benefits of joining this group?

Are there any fees associated with using the push service?

As you can see, I'm just trying to get some preliminary information before we jump into this market place.

Thanks!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: general information regarding push

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

You will find this helpful:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/started/

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/

It's all covered there.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
feh
New Contributor
feh

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been to those pages, and I've registered in the Developer Zone, but I wasn't able to find the answers to the questions I stated above.

feh
New Contributor
feh

[ Edited ]

Does RIM/BlackBerry have anybody that acts as a liaison between companies writing software for their devices and the company that can answer questions like I have?

I've gotta say - the web site comes off as being extremely anti-person. I just have a few questions I need answered; I don't want to spend hours reading documents and joining support groups without getting a lay of the land first.

Developer
jmace
My Device: 9300

Hello Feh,

I'm not a push expert, but I can speak on what I know.

If you are looking to do this within an enterprise, you would purchase a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) and use this server to push to users. The push technique is an HTTP post to the BES that forwards the message to the correct devices.

RIM recently announced a new version of the BES so you may want to snoop around that part of the site ( here ).

I'm not too familiar with the BIS push (consumer/non-BES) so you'll have to wait on someone else for that information.

feh

jmace wrote:

Hello Feh,

I'm not a push expert, but I can speak on what I know.

If you are looking to do this within an enterprise, you would purchase a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) and use this server to push to users. The push technique is an HTTP post to the BES that forwards the message to the correct devices.

RIM recently announced a new version of the BES so you may want to snoop around that part of the site ( here ).

I'm not too familiar with the BIS push (consumer/non-BES) so you'll have to wait on someone else for that information.

Thanks jmace. This would actually be for consumers, not corporate. But it's good to know about the differentiation!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

You can find out about the consumer focus BlackBerry Push Service here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/pushapi.jsp

Note that this service has not yet launched publicly and is currently only avilable to members of the BlackBerry ISV Alliance Program.

Both the BlackBerry Push Service and BlackBeryr ISV Alliance Program offer free tiers.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Documentation on the Push SDK can now be found here:  http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/subcategories/?userType=21&category=BlackBerry+Push+Service...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker