Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Push Development

New Developer
chandrajit
My Device: Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

some questions about Push Service

Hi All,

Have some questions over BlackBerry Push Service.

1) While registration for evaluation it is asking

Source IP Address for Pushes - what if I've dynamic IP and I've two different servers one for development and other for Production environment?

Pushes per Day, per Subscriber - what if I can not determine the exact number of pushes and why this is important to give? what it impacts?
Average KB of Pushed Payload  - what it impacts?
Push Service Type - what are the main practical differences for Essential and Push Plus? what is recommended?
2) what are pre-requisites at device side?
Thanks in advance,
Chandrajit

Please use plain text.
Developer
ealcant
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9300

Re: some questions about Push Service

1. Actually the IP address is not required but it's still in the registration form. When I received my evaluation credentials from RIM, the email said:

Source IP:

Whitelisting no longer required

Source IP:

Whitelisting no longer required

So I think RIM used the source IP for security reasons but now they aren't using it.

2. If you are registering to use the push evaluation service (either essentials or push plus) then that information doesn't really matter because RIM offers you a fixed quantity of push you can send with the evaluation services.

In my case I have 2000 Daily Push Quota and I can register 100 subscriber.

This information is based on my own experience so maybe your case is different.

I hope this information helps you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jgani
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that the IP address is no longer used in practice.

It is mentioned in the forums that the questions regarding your push volume is to help RIM plan their infrastructure.

Use Push Plus if you think it's important to know that a push message has been delivered successfully.

For the device side beware that OS 4.3 vs OS 5 and above have to be coded differently.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
chandrajit

Thank you jgani & ealcant for your answers.

some more questions I've if you don't mind

1) This push notification works only when there is internet. Is this work if device is behind firewall with Wi-fi? Please advise.

2) We don't have app ready so we cannot upload to RIM. So there is no way to test first. There must be way to test first in our development environment. How?

3) If we use BES then do we need to use separate BES per enterprise or users? OR one BES can work for all devices? If we use BES then do we need to take license for each device? How Push Services works for BES?

Many Thanks in advance
Chandrajit
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jgani
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]
  1. Push is over BIS-B connection only
  2. Register for Push Eval access with RIM. Download the SDK, which includes a sample app for the client side and 3 sample apps for the server side. Once RIM grants you access to Eval, you'll be given an app ID, password and other details. Deploy the provided sample apps and enter your Eval details when prompted. The client side sample has to be deployed to a real device (i.e.. not a simulator). There's a catch: numerous developers (including myself) have reported on this forum that their client side sample is not able to receive push messages.
  3. I've not looked at Push on BES, sorry.

I'm pretty new to Push myself, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
chandrajit

Thank you jgani, that was quiet useful answer

I myself now investigating on Push Notificaiton through BES.

Regards

Chandrajit.

Please use plain text.