Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
getfunc
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Re: APN won't be saved for BB Q10

Hi Johen,

I think it is unlocked, but how can I tell if it is unlocked or not.

I cannot do certain things if it is locked?

This could be compatibility issue between BB Q10 and the local SIM.

-----------------------------------------

"Using an unlocked CDMA device (it is unlocked, right?) with a local sim always gives unreliable results. Many carriers done allow CDMA devices on their networks. An unlocked GSM device would work much better. Even still, if the carrier you're using isn't in the database on the phone you can have this problem."

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Can you make phone calls with the sim?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
getfunc

Hi John,

Phone call > No, since i cannot set up the APN, the SIM is not working. The former owner said the ESN was clean and all.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Your problem is much deeper than the APN, then. The APN only affects mobile data services on the device. It doesn't affect whether you can make phone calls or send text messages.

Look in Settings >Security and Privacy >Sim Card. Does everything say "unlocked" in there?

Also, do you have any sim card messages in the top right corner of the home screen? Does it show any signal? Does is say sim not provisioned, sim not authorized, etc.?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
getfunc

Hi John,

<John>Look in Settings >Security and Privacy >Sim Card. Does everything say "unlocked" in there?

<me> It reads "Device is ready for use on the network."

<John>Also, do you have any sim card messages in the top right corner of the home screen? Does it show any signal? Does is say sim not provisioned, sim not authorized, etc.?

<me> In the home screen, there are 3 icons, wifi, 4 square, and phone with a red exclamation. No other message or warning is displayed like "not provisioning".

WHen I check the Mobile Network setting, it says "The SIM card is not compatible with either the network or the device."

Is this the reason that I cannot edit the APN, maybe?

Regards,

Guru I
John_Clark

Most likely the Sprint-branded device does not have the frequencies needed for the networks in Japan. There are 5 different models of Q10 which have different frequency spectrums.
Contributor
getfunc

Thanks, John.

That really helps.

I will check which type my BB Q10 is and see what I can do next.

Thank you very much for your kind support.

Guru I
John_Clark

And on a CDMA device the sim card is usually reserved for roaming. It's looking for the Sprint network.
Contributor
getfunc

That is something good to know!

Thanks!