Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
BB-Hardcore-User
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

Accept call with keyboard

On a Q10 I need to answer calls with at least one key not with a touch gesture. How can I do this?
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Accept call with keyboard

Good day

Welcome to BB forums

I had quick question what seems to be problem with the "gesture" option?

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

Problem with the gesture? Hmmm... let me think:

1. I have 35 physical keys yet I have to swipe to accept/reject a call;

2. Touch display is sensitive to moisture, sweat, dirt - sometimes - I can't accept/reject a call with wet hands (or gloves). No summer/winter use for me;

3. Key press = action with feedback in one step (you know, that's why I have Q10 instead of Z10), while gesture means several steps: check call, swipe, swipe again, rub you hand with your shirt, swipe again, swear, swipe, exhale, call and explain that the phone was out of reach. Ok, not every time, just, annoyingly, that several times when it matters;

4. Basic functionality of a phone should be to call, answer and reject connections in the easiest, most ergonomically way - this is not the case. It looks like a modem card plugged into a PC and with a full keyboard you still have to use software buttons to make it work.

5. Ok, it is so cool to swipe but, please, preserve the traditional functionality of a keyboard. While I was typing this message I struggled a lot with selecting text for eliminate misspelled words, while a trackpad would have been more appropriate for this.

6. Should I extend this to Speed dial issue? 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BB-Hardcore-User
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

@Andu9 Thanks a lot! Nothing important to add.

But: is there a solution for it? I can't believe that this must-have feature is not available due to eliminating some well known BB-keys...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ddrao
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I completely agree to @Andu9. 

We just got about 5-6 Q10s to our senior management folk who are typically in 45 plus age group. They all migrated from BB Bold to Q10. All of them complain about the tedious way of accepting call on Q10. Most often they are not able to accept the call as they are not able to slide down the call indicator. 

Having a phone with keyboard and not able to accept call using a key stroke is a quite dumb to my mind. 

All that is required is when the phone comes in, the call indicator should have "Answer ( Y / N ) ? " If the user presses Y then answers the phone or N cancels the phone.  Y / N could be Q or P as well.. It is just a suggestion.

Hope to get this functionality enabled in subsequent feature updates and OS updates. 

Please use plain text.