Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
wuwu666
My Device: Blackberry Q10

BB Q10 Charging issues

Hi,

Two questions:

1. On my old BB bold, I would put on my alarm and shutdown my phone in case I needed to charge it. When I made the switch to BB Q10, I realized that was not possible since BB does not boot even with alarm on. Therefore for the last year I have been charging pretty much every other night while on bedside mode. This may have had a bad effect on my battery as it has been losing power a bit more quickly lately.

Was is the ideal way to charge your BB Q10 while using an alarm?

2. Fast foward to a couple nights ago where I go to bed charging my 25% phone when on bedside mode and wake up to a red battery icon and also red battery icon+yellow bolt. Turns out my blackberry charger (700mA) is messed up (tried different plugs). My phone is telling me to use a proper charger to do it faster and on top left my battery icon has 2 red lines on the left with a red exclamation point on the right.

I tried charging via USB on laptop and it charges perfectly (battery also seems to last longer but not 100% sure).

Is the problem simply the charger?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BB Q10 Charging issues

wuwu666 wrote:

1. On my old BB bold, I would put on my alarm and shutdown my phone in case I needed to charge it. When I made the switch to BB Q10, I realized that was not possible since BB does not boot even with alarm on. Therefore for the last year I have been charging pretty much every other night while on bedside mode. This may have had a bad effect on my battery as it has been losing power a bit more quickly lately.

Was is the ideal way to charge your BB Q10 while using an alarm?

Set the alarm as you desire and place the device in Bedside Mode.  Settings > Bedside Mode, or from the Alarm app > Bedside Mode.

You can charge at night as long as you sleep, no problems. The charger cuts off at 100% and does not continue to charge so there is no harm in overcharging.

wuwu666 wrote:

2. Fast foward to a couple nights ago where I go to bed charging my 25% phone when on bedside mode and wake up to a red battery icon and also red battery icon+yellow bolt. Turns out my blackberry charger (700mA) is messed up (tried different plugs). My phone is telling me to use a proper charger to do it faster and on top left my battery icon has 2 red lines on the left with a red exclamation point on the right.

I tried charging via USB on laptop and it charges perfectly (battery also seems to last longer but not 100% sure).

Is the problem simply the charger?

Sounds like a bad charger. This one, the bad one, is it the one which came with your Q10?

Just buy another. The OEM BlackBerry chargers are fairly inexpensive on Amazon.

This is a great charger for the Q10  BlackBerry 1.80A Micro USB Premium Folding Blade Home Travel Charger for BlackBerry Play Book (OTCBB...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wuwu666
My Device: Blackberry Q10

I went back home during the summer and may have mistakenly brought back my old bold charger on the road but I am 90% sure this was the charger that came with my Q10.

I did not know the Q10 preventend overcharging. Where did u read that?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

wuwu666 wrote:

I did not know the Q10 preventend overcharging. Where did u read that?

Now you do know. I don't recall where i read it, but I do know it is true.

At 100% the charger cuts off.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.