Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
torontonian
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
Accepted Solution

BBM Pin got changed itself

Hello, everybody!

My problem with the BBM Pin is the following - A few years ago I had BlackBerry 9900, and I had a BBM pin assigned to that device. Later on that device was physically destroyed and I started using BBM on Samsung Galaxy (the same BBM Pin).

Recently i acquired BlackBerry Q10 and started to use BBM with the same pin (from BlackBerry 9900). It was not a problem, until I updated BBM a few days ago and then I noticed that my BBM pin has changed.

Does anybody know why it happened and what to do with such issue? I mean, eventually I am going to create a list of contacts with my new BBM pin number, but there is no guarantee that such sudden change won't happen again.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

Dmitri

Forums Advisor I
arthur72
My Device: Z30, Z10 (10.2.1.3175), 9860 (7.1), Samsung S4
My Carrier: Indosat

Re: BBM Pin got changed itself

Hi Dmitri

Nowadays, BBM is associated with our BlackBerry ID, not with the device PIN anymore.

If you previously associated BBM with your BlackBerry ID (for example, on your current device), you can sign in with the same BlackBerry ID to restore your BBM data over the wireless network.

After setting up BBM on your new device, your contacts, profile, channels and groups are automatically backed up over the wireless network based on your BlackBerry ID.

Regards
torontonian

Thanks a lot for your reply. That's a good news that my BBM account, which is associated with BlackBerry ID can be restored on any device. But it will restore only my ALREADY established contacts. But what I am trying to figure out is the following: I have a BBM pin. Let's say it's 123456. I put this pin number on my business cards, email signatures, message board, so it becomes my sort of email address. People know (who are not yet among my contacts) that this number is associated with me. Later on I buy a new BlackBerry device, activate my BlackBerry ID on a new device and I continue using my 123456 pin on a new device. But suddenly, the device changes the pin to 654321, and that's a serious problem, because people, who are not yet among my contacts, will not be able to find me. They don't know that my pin number now is 654321. And my question is: why such sudden change has happened and does it mean that somehow the 123456 is somehow connected to 654321 or I have to start putting a new pin on business cards and etc again. Thank you.
Forums Advisor I
arthur72

Hi Dmitri

Good question, but so many numbers makes me headache lol I just kidding. Unfortunately that is not the way it works. Different way with email or phone numbers in our card. Blackberry Pin is tied with one device only and can not be moved to another device. Your previous BBM contacts with 123456 are safe and still with you in your new BBM pin 654321. Only to your New clients/friends you must inform your pin or invite them.

Technology keeps creating something new. You still can inform them about your new pin otherwise you must keep using your old device.

Regards.
torontonian

Thanks again. You completely answered my question. I guess for now I can't solely rely on leaving my BBM pun number as a contact method with me (unfortunately). It's really too bad that we can't keep pin number like an email address. The BBM system is a great method of communicaton, but being so heavily "connected" to one device/pin it's a bit frustrating. Well, there is nothing what we can do really. Thanks again. ) Being informed means being warned and prepared.
Forums Advisor I
arthur72

Your very welcome Dmitri. All the best for you.