Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Developer
maarko
My Device: Q10 v10.2.0.424

Battery Boost

hellO,

I found few battery boosters on appworld. What exactly do applications like this? I don't believe it actually does something with battery, I believe it's rather a matter of some garbage collection, or something, but I am not sure.

Has anybody tested using phone with and without battery booster. Is battery boost giving any vmeasurable results?

Trusted Contributor
vfk
My Device: Q10

Re: Battery Boost

[ Edited ]

I just dim the screen and go to into airplane mode if I want to extend battery life.  The Q10 is already an energy miser.

When I'm nomophobic about a dead battery on a long day away from a power plug, I reach for MoMax battery packs.

Not only does it keep the Q10 charged, it also charges my tablets... AT THE SAME TIME in my backpack.

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

I never used one of these software programs. From what I understand a device requires a specific amount of power to operate for basic functions.

The only way I can see battery savings is if the software shuts down programs that are loaded and the user has not been active in them for a few minutes. I do my best to manage how I use the phone rather than load it up with gadget software that is questionable about its integrety.

Jerry G.
Heisenberg2013

The reason why your phone's battery is draining very quickly is because (like old Blackberries), after keeping the phone ON for a few days, some processes keep running in the background. These processes do not show up on the user interface but you will notice them when you view you Memory consumption.

The only way to fix this is to do a "battery pull". Note, shutting the phone off or restarting it doesn't help as both of these options dump the memory, suspend the processes, and then on startup, loads the memory back and resumes all the old processes. Doing a battery pull forces it to load the entire operating system from scratch.

Developer
maarko

[ Edited ]

i don't believe it actually suspends precesses and dumps memory when restarting. if so, you would have running all aps you left running after startup. more of that, Q10/Z10's OS is based on QNX which is unix/linux like which surely don't restart in that matter until intended.

battery boost is probably some API function. in other case why all such an applications' contain those two words in name? why aren't they called task manager, or sth?

so i am re-asking my original question: anybody knows what so called "battery boost" actually does?

Developer
maarko

it wouldn't also ask for sim card PIN if it was suspended/hibernated

Contributor
sydneyp
My Device: Blackberry Q10

vfk wrote:

I just dim the screen and go to into airplane mode if I want to extend battery life.  The Q10 is already an energy miser.

But, if you're in airplane mode, how are you able to get phone calls or receive texts?  Do you just put it in battery mode during the evening? Also, do you really see a difference when you dim the screen.  Mine is set at the lowest setting at all times, and the screen still looks very bright, bright enough to light up a dark room.

Trusted Contributor
vfk

[ Edited ]

Well.... pulling the battery would really extend battery life.

Correct... in airplane mode phone and text msgs are interrupted until re-enabled.

• do you really need to be receiving content when you are asleep?
  • some may not want msgs when at work if it's not a work phone
  • it's a great way to not be interrupted when driving
  • when travelling, it means I won't need to worry about roaming charges
  • I spend a fair bit of time in medical facilties which ask visitors to not have their phones enabled

You will not notice the brightness when you are used to it, but will see it when you move the brightness slider back and forth.

Contributor
sydneyp
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Yeah, makes sense.  Although, sometimes when driving I do want to at least know if someone has texted me (I have kids), even though I may not check until later. But, everything else you stated above, I could certainly see myself going into airplane mode during those times where, right now, I just turn the notifications off.