Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
Bigessay
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Blackberry Link uses a lot of memory

I am using Blackberry Link 1.1.1.41 on Windows 7 x64 (with a Q10). BlackBerryLink.exe *32 is using 294Mb of memory! That's more than any other process except Internet Explorer with loads of windows open.

The previous version was the same, and I was hoping the upgade wold deal with this issue.

I have also had to configure it NOT to launch at startup, as it stops everything else booting, so I cannot use any application until Link has finished whatever it is doing.

Has anyone else seen this?

Are RIM support aware?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry Link uses a lot of memory

What amount of memory do you think Link should use?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AlanBardsley
My Device: Q10

A lot less than 1.2GB!!! That's what V 1.2.0.28 is using as it's working set on my Windows 7 computer now.

Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Uninstall it?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AlanBardsley

Another helpful post! Thanks for "contributing".

I wonder if it's reading my rather large mp3 collection and caching names. Hopefully not.

Killing the thread now and then keeps if below a gig, so I'll do that and wait for a newer version.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Bigessay
My Device: Blackberry Q10

[ Edited ]

As an update, I just started BB Link, which climbed rapidly from an initial 35Mb to 217Mb. Which is similar to the amount I started this post with.

I am using Wireless to sync with my laptop.

So, as you say Alan, it may be related to how much you are allowing it to share with the smartphone device - even though you have not asked for a synch update.

I have just been invited to update from 1.1.1.41 to 1.2.1.31 which has a totally new look and feel. The memory use is now 145Mb (without changing any file settings, unless the install changed anything).

Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]

The software should use less memory, it does. If he needs to increase the memory of his PC, this is not the proper forum for that, and I am not a developer of the Link software, so your petty attacks on me are offbase and immature.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AlanBardsley

[ Edited ]

I too am using wireless sync. BB Link is connected to 2 devices, Q10 and Playbook.

Interestingly, BB Link is below 200 MB now. When browsing files on the Playbook the working set increases. BB Link went over a gig when I was copying a large number of files from the PlayBook to my pc.

It looks like the memory use by BB Link varies with activity. Browse a large folder and it uses more memory. I had a very large folder and BB Link used a LOT of memory!

re: Negativity in replies

I really wish people would only post their thoughts if they contribute to the thread. Useless, negative and hate filled posts reduce the sense of community. If people don't feel safe, then they won't post. Everyone loses.

I've seen forums deteriorate due to the volume of abusive posts. Don't let that happen here.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

AlanBardsley wrote:

I too am using wireless sync. BB Link is connected to 2 devices, Q10 and Playbook.

Interestingly, BB Link is below 200 MB now. When browsing files on the Playbook the working set increases. BB Link went over a gig when I was copying a large number of files from the PlayBook to my pc.

It looks like the memory use by BB Link varies with activity. Browse a large folder and it uses more memory. I had a very large folder and BB Link used a LOT of memory!

You're exactly right.

Link, or the connection, 'caches' the expected files/folders, etc., it expects you'll be using by what's connected at the time.

AlanBardsley wrote:

re: Negativity in replies

I really wish people would only post their thoughts if they contribute to the thread. Useless, negative and hate filled posts reduce the sense of community. If people don't feel safe, then they won't post. Everyone loses.

I've seen forums deteriorate due to the volume of abusive posts. Don't let that happen here.

So right. Why bring it back up again? Let it die a quiet death.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.