Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Reply
JSanders
Posts: 85,160
Likes: 23,027
Solutions: 5,925
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad


muratcolakoglu wrote:

JSanders you are wrong. Q10 has a dim screen. There are many claims about the issue. Blackberry needs to fix this asap. We want brighter screen.


What's your problem? Bad day?

 

Yes, the Q10 has an overall dimmer screen.

Is it  generally as dim (dark) as the images the user posted? No. That user (and others) have bad devices.

 

 




1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes


Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
Posts: 637
Registered: ‎08-29-2008
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

I am absolutely happy with the brightness of the Q10. I would send it back, if it was brighter! So just because you have faulty device or you have an eye problem, BlackBerry does not have to change anything
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
Posts: 30,353
Registered: ‎06-25-2008
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

Brightness on My Q10 is almost as bright as My Z10 and Playbook. this is expected since the Black is blacker than that of a backlit screen.

 

mine is no where as bad as in that crackberry pic

 




Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!


Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.


SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope


Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here


BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008


Please use plain text.
Contributor
paxtonbt
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

[ Edited ]

The device those images were taken of is not faulty, as compared to 3 other display units in Verizon Wireless. I was not permitted to return it as their brightness levels were perfectly comparable. The phone is dim, dim, dim. 

 

The issue here lies with the software. The Q10 was designed with the "superior" and "brighter" Super AMOLED screen, yet has been proven, definitively, and scientifically, to have the absolute lowest maximum brightness out of all of the phones on the market. It's quite clear that BlackBerry is hampering the screen's potential. Every other phone on the market has a toggle switch for auto-dimming features, even the last generation of BlackBerry phones did. It's pathetic that BlackBerry OS 10 does not. Numerous people have complained and ultimately BlackBerry, a suffering company, should be able to compete with these other phones and offer such basic options to the consumer.

 

You say adding more voltage/current to the screen will reduce its lifetime? Well, if I prefer reading text more easily and at a trade-off of sacrificing my screen's lifetime, or my battery's lifetime, that should be MY decision.

 

Congratulations to those who are happy with their brightness, you're happy with the device you paid good money for. If an OS update permitted the device to pump out more brightness, you'd still be able to reduce it to the levels you prefer. All of us who want our Q10's brighter shouldn't be ignored. The Verizon Wireless representatives were completely shocked when I went in to perform the comparison. They had no idea that the brightness they were looking at was truly the "maximum." Next to the new Nokia Lumia 928 (which has a normal, dimmer AMOLED screen), the Q10 was incredibly dim and dull. It will affect sales and it will destroy our trust in BlackBerry!

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
Posts: 637
Registered: ‎08-29-2008
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

Paxton, your thread at Crackberry where you posted exactly the same sentences over and over again was closed by an admin. Repeating your... doesn't make it right. As the admin at CB said: You ve made your point, now get over it and move on.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paxtonbt
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

[ Edited ]

My thread at Crackberry was closed by an admin and its title was changed because, as he stated in a PM, "it was causing too much controversy" and made BlackBerry look bad, not because my posts were illegitimate. In fact, I was on the "top thanked" list on Crackberry. So, my post has 6,478 views and I'm on the "top thanked" list. Does that sound to you like my post isn't legitimate?

 

This is a serious issue (this thread was clearly started and supported by other people) and it's well known that Crackberry users will attack anyone who has a problem with BlackBerry, as you are doing now. Are you really going to keep attacking us who are upset at the very FACT that the Q10 has a dimmer screen than every other phone on the market?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Posts: 85,160
Likes: 23,027
Solutions: 5,925
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad


paxtonbt wrote:

My thread at Crackberry was closed by an admin and its title was changed because, as he stated in a PM, "it was causing too much controversy" and made BlackBerry look bad, not because my posts were illegitimate.



lol, which Admin told you that in a PM? I really don't believe he said those actual words.


paxtonbt wrote:

 So, my post has 6,478 views and I'm on the "top thanked" list. Does that sound to you like my post isn't legitimate?


Considering half of those views are the spiders crawling the web (google search optimizers, for instance) that's not that impressive.


paxtonbt wrote:

 

 it's well known that Crackberry users will attack anyone who has a problem with BlackBerry, as you are doing now. Are you really going to keep attacking us who are upset at the very FACT that the Q10 has a dimmer screen than every other phone on the market?


No one is attacking you in this thread. We are very clearly pointing out that what you are stating is NOT true across the board. Three or more users in this thread alone have stated that our Q10 screens do not match yours.

Then, it is my feeling that your local Verizon store must several bad devices or perhaps all from the same manufacturing batch.

 

I am posting a shot with my Z10 and Q10 below, both set to 50% brightness. The difference in these two screens is nothing the same as your pictures. There is a difference below, but nothing like your own.

 

You need to return yours and request to use power up the device FIRST before accepting it, and inspect the screen brightness.

 

z10q10 screen.jpg




1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes


Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paxtonbt
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

Do the same shot with both at max, let's see how they look!

Mod - pkcable

paxtonbt - "Title change? Any reason why you felt the need to censor my opinion?"

(from "Downright Awful." to "Too Dim!!")

pkcable - "I just edited the title! And it was because the topic was causing too much controversy and fighting!"
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Posts: 85,160
Likes: 23,027
Solutions: 5,925
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

[ Edited ]

paxtonbt wrote:

pkcable - "I just edited the title! And it was because the topic was causing too much controversy and fighting!"

Nothing wrong with that. I've modded BlackBerry Forums, and that's acceptable.

So, he did not say, to quote you, "and made BlackBerry look bad", did he. I've known pkcable for years and he is a reasonable fellow.

 

I can do another shot of both screens tomorrow. I set them both to 100% and there was about the same little difference as you observe in the shot above. Both are slightly brighter, but I thought it would be best to see both at 50%.

 

So, I ask you... do YOU see the see the same dimness in MY Q10 50% screen as you do in YOUR Q10 100% screen? What is your opinion of the image?




1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes


Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
paxtonbt
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Blackberry needs to sort out he brightness issue on the Q10 - Its very bad

I put in quotes what he directly said. There was also further discussion. The topic was closed and the title changed to something "softer" (as he put it) amidst a discussion on photography and exposure, why some comparison shots can create an illusion (which I will talk about now). It was not necessary to close it, and these moderation changes were done one right after the other, immediately before Monday - I was online at the time and trying to give a reply. Knowing full well that the topic was on the front page of the forums and on the front page of Crackberry.com, it's pretty clear that it was censored for different reasons. Why change the title right as you close the topic? To diminish any sort of negative publicity on the Q10, it's obvious.

 

The main reason why I wanted to leave the topic open was because I had been asking numerous times for someone to offer comparison photos of their "bright" Q10 with similar ambient light and brightness screens shown. I didn't receive a single comparison that showed a "bright" Q10, but 3 other users with comparison photos on the brightness screens showing how dim their Q10's were.

 

Now, for your picture. You're the first to actually provide any comparison similar to mine that doesn't show a terribly dim Q10, but I do have some problems with the image, which I'll list below.

 

1. Your shot was performed with a light overhead, so the Q10 isn't automatically dimming as much as in my original photos, so it's going to be brighter based on the brighter ambient light.

 

2. My shots were comparing minimum and maximum brightness settings. After playing with the Z10 in stores, I know its maximum brightness is much greater than that on the Q10. I don't think 50% on both offers a suitable comparison when comparing your shot to my shots.

 

You should list how you're taking the photo. If you're using a camera with auto-exposure, it will brighten the greatest light source to be white on the image, which can create the illusion of really bright screens (even if they're dim in real life). The goal of my comparison photos was to offer a good replication of the natural light as it appears to the eye.

 

I did a video in brighter light here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iLJgD7cbZo

Photo comparisons in similar light to yours: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-q10-f272/q10-screen-brightness-too-dim-818576/index6.html#po...

 

Following these shots and the video, I pretty much received a consensus that the Q10 is really this dim on every model, even the models considered "bright" in the UK.

 

Again, the brightness study shows and confirms what myself and plenty of others are seeing. It's the dimmest device on the market. http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/handys/2013/blackberry-q10-im-test/3

Please use plain text.