Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
leemar
My Device: Playbook & Curve 3g
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

Bridge & Exchange

Just got my Q10 today. I wish I had had some warning before I gave up my Curve 9330. The Q10 is not compatible with Playbook via Bridge. So what if they pair. I have just lost completely any chance to continue to use my Playbook for corporate work. No e-mail, no contacts and no calendar! In other words no sync and compatibility with our corporate exchange for my Playbook. Now it is a toy just like an iPad. What is up with this? Sorry to all but I am more than a little disgusted.  My 9330 worked just nearly perfect and who would have ever thought that Bridge would be crippled in BB10.

I haven’t gotten the Q10 to pair with my 2008 Mini Cooper as yet either. I suspect the new Q10 blue tooth is not compatible with anything older than yesterday. The 9330 worked beautifully.

If anyone has solutions to these deficiencies, I sure would like to have some serious tech help.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bridge & Exchange

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The PlayBook has a full on-device email client...if your work email faces the internet with POP, IMAP, or OWA, then you can integrate it directly into the PlayBook. Unfortunately, bu just telling us "Exchange", we can't tell for sure what your work email is. If it's BES and that's the only way to interface (e.g., no OWA), then you indeed may have found one of the issues we all wish did not exist. As I recall, it may require BES10 for PlayBook integration:

• KB31844 How to activate a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry 10 smartphone to the BlackBerry Device Service or BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10

To be sure, though, you really should speak with your BES/Email admins as to what is truly available to you. It won't work like it did before -- with BB10, those functions of Bridge indeed are gone. But there may well be alternatives.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leemar

Yep, my 9330 was on BES and we do have BES 10 on trial but that is not the major issue.

The bridge is the major issue. I would not have committed to a Q10 if I had know that having done so would totally cripple my Playbook.

BTW, I have nearly been in fights supporting Blackberry and Playbook against the "toys". I have had 5 different Blackberry phones over a number of years and am part of our IT support so I do know what I am posting about.

The BES vs BES10 issue is ubnderstandable and will be sorted out in the very near term but the blantant abandonment of the hundred of thousands of Palybook owners and supporters is unforgivable. This after all the beating we took defending the best and most functional table ever put on the market.

Sorry for the continued rant but I am really disapointed after waiting so long to get a Q10.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Yes, we can rant all day long, but it won't change anything. TH has publicly stated the reasons for basically abandoning the PlayBook (e.g., no BB10 for PB), and while we can disagree with him, we can't change it...and ranting about it does nothing toward achieving whatever end function one is desiring anyway.

But, I would submit that your PB isn't crippled. The prior functions of Bridge that you used are indeed gone for now (who knows, they may return!!). But there are other ways to achieve the same final result.

Consider...properly configured, whatever you do on your PB to your work email will reflect, via proper synchronization, back to your Q10. There is therefore no need (save for one..."Exception" below) for the PB, via Bridge, to do that directly with the BB device anymore, but rather it (the PB) works directly with the server. Other devices also working properly with the server will receive the updates as part of their synchronization process. So the end result is the same, it's just that the path to get there is different from before.

While not BES, consider my configuration. I've got the following:

• Z10
  • Q10
  • Outlook 2010
  • Outlook 2007
  • PlayBook

None of these interact directly with each other. Rather, each interacts with a server OTA (in my case, Outlook.com for calendar and contacts, Gmail for email). But, since it's all properly configured, whatever I do on one of them fully synchronizes to all of the others (via the server sync). With BES, the concept is the same; if your PB can be integrated to BES, then it can independently manage your server data, and whatever you change via the PB will be reflected on your Q10 as part of it's reconciliation against the server.

EXCEPTION: So, if all of that holds true, then the one thing you lose (and I admit this completely) is the ability to use your larger screen PB to control your email when you are in an area that is lacking WiFi. In this single case, I admit that you indeed have lost something...but I guess that I would not characterize losing just one function as "crippled". I am hopeful they will bring that back someday, but there is no way to predict if/when that will ever happen.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leemar

Thanks for the post but most people in the US anyway operate non WiFi. That's where people work. On the job site. Secure through the air port ( remember that is one of the biggest reasons for being pure Blackberry in the first place). So by removing that very one thing that Bridge accomplished, TH wiped out the one biggest reason for corporate users to stay true to the cause. The bottom line is now BYOD and lose market.

I'll stay a dedicated Blackberry user and appreciate your logic. All we can do is make sure these in depth comments stay on these forums in the hope they will be heard.

Soap box returned to storage. ;-)
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

In considering this further, I've thought of two more workarounds for your situation. Neither replicate what existed before -- your PB will still interact directly with your server, and synchronization between your server and your other platforms will be how the work you do via the PB is reflected elsewhere. Both still pre-require that your PB be able to interact independently (via WiFi) with your server -- either activated on BES, IMAP, POP, OWA, or EAS directly with your server. This connection should be configured and fully functioning on the PB (via an available WiFi network) before attempting either of these workarounds.

Basically, the intent is to use your Q10 as a "hotspot" to provide connectivity to your PB when you don't have WiFi available. There are two methods to accomplish this:

1) The traditional method is to use the WiFi HotSpot function of your Q10, and connect your PB to this WiFi hotspot. Your Q10 then uses it's mobile data network connection to bridge between the WiFi hotspot connected devices and the internet. This is the preferred method, and requires that your data plan from your mobile service provider be at a service level that includes the HotSpot functionality.

2) The other method is a trick for those who have data plans that don't allow for WiFi HotSpot, and instead creates (sort of) a single-device "BlueTooth HotSpot". If you install Bridge to your Q10 while your SIM is not installed to your Q10 (of course, your Q10 must have access to a WiFi network at that time in order to freshly install Bridge), then after you have rebooted again and put your SIM back into your Q10, when you connect and configure Bridge between your Q10 and your PB (new...you should remove all previous associations between your PB and your Q10), it will use the BT/Bridge connection between them, and your Q10 will bridge to it's mobile data network connection to provide internet access to your PB.

Again, these still don't fully replicate the way it used to work, but with these you can surmount that last issue I admitted to previously...in places without WiFi, you can use your Q10 as a HotSpot (either WiFi or BT) for your PB to use and have internet access via your Q10 mobile carrier data network.

Good luckQ

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leemar

[ Edited ]

Terrific suggestions. Didn't think of the hot spot. Was working on setting up the exchange account when your post came in. 

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome. Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.