Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
Hari_Seldon
My Device: Blackberry Q10
Accepted Solution

Can't Assign Ring Tone to Contact

When I try to assign a ring tone to a specific contact, the only options I have to choose from are Default, Off or Active.  There is no option to select another ring tone.  This is a brand new phone, so maybe there's something I haven't configured yet?  This is also my very first smart phone, so I'm a complete newbie.  Any tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,

Hari

JSanders
Solutions: 6,027
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Can't Assign Ring Tone to Contact

Open a contact > Edit.

Scroll to the bottom of that screen > Ringtones and Notifications

You should see Phone Ring Tone and a drop down of several choices, and Browse Music should be bottom choice.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Hari_Seldon

I can get to the place where you edit the ring tone, but Browse Music is not one of the options.  The only choices I have are Default, Off and Active.

JSanders

From the main screen, swipe down from the top black bezel to Settings > About... what is the OS Version listed there?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Hari_Seldon

It's 10.1.0.2011

JSanders

I don't see that option on OS 10.1.0.4181, but I do on OS 10.2.0.1014

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Hari_Seldon

I used the software update option on the phone and it says that I have the latest version.  I've been trying to search on the web to see what the current version of the OS is for the Q10, but haven't had any luck.  Do you know if the 10.2.0.1014 is available for the Q10?  I noticed that you have the Z10, so I wasn't sure if it was only available for that model.

Contributor
Hari_Seldon

I just found an article on it.  It looks like 10.2 hasn't been released yet.  Guess I'll have to wait until it is, upgrade my phone and then see if I can assign ring tones by contact then.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

Contributor
Terri_T
My Device: Q10

I am a lifetime BB user but have only had the q10 for 4 days. I have 10.1.0.2011 software and I can assign ring tones to my contacts for their calls. I had the same issue you have the box is blank on the drop down. Type an A in the drop down and any ringtone you have on the phone will start to show up and you can filter down to the right one. 

it took me 3 days to figure that out.

the issue is... I like to assign ring tones or cute sounds to individual contacts and although I can assign them... none of them work... the default settings overrides the individual settings except on the call settings.

I hope this helps

Contributor
Hari_Seldon

Thanks for the tips.  It worked exactly as you described.  I don't think I would ever have stumbled on that on my own.  I also have the same issue as you - it lets me assign the ring tone now, but it still uses the default when called from that contact.  It's a step in the right direction, though.