Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
tasko
My Device: Q 10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Can't send emails from my Q10 without wi fi

When I'm away from my wifi emails can be received but not sent.  My email address is through Cogeco and wireless network is Rogers.  Neither say they can help me.  Rogers said that Cogeco & Rogers don't connect together, and that previous software used by Blackberry has been changed.  This renders my email useless while on the road.  A blackberry should send emails!!  I don't know whether to believe Rogers or not!  They said there is a fix, but it would render my BB unable to send emails while I'm at home.  Is this situation going to be resolved by Blackberry???

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't send emails from my Q10 without wi fi

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Refer:

• KB33824 How to integrate a Cogeco email on a BlackBerry PlayBook or BlackBerry 10 smartphone

Note carefully the information at the very bottom of that KB...the issue is with Cogeco, not with BlackBerry. I suspect that the fix they mentioned is to use Cogeco's externally facing SMTP servers, which perhaps are not accessible when you are home (e.g., "inside" of Cogeco's system).

A different fix would be to abandon Cogeco in favor of an email provider that indeed allows you proper access to their email servers from all locations. You could put a forwarder on Cogeco to this other email provider.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasko

Anything else I should know about forwarding to another email provider? I don't know how to do that.....and any suggestions about one that is simple to work with and would solve my problem? Gmail? Technology is driving me to drink. Much appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Gmail and Yahoo are free, and each integrate with BB10 as IMAP (unless you are grandfathered in with Gmail for ActiveSync), which is preferable to POP.

Outlook.com integrates as ActiveSync (most preferred), and provides an added benefit of being able to provide full (and free!) end-to-end synchronization of Calendar and Contact items between desktop Outlook and your BB10 device (and other devices, btw, if they can integrate as well with Outlook.com via ActiveSync). Yahoo and Gmail both purport to provide Calendar/Contact sync as well, but I found them to be either not free or just not functional for this when I was running tests.

I've no idea how to put a forwarder onto your Cogeco account...that's a question for them, I'd think. Typically, email service providers give you some web interfaces to their system that might include putting an auto-forwarder in place. But I've no idea how they function.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasko

I will try one of those suggestions.  Thank you so much for coming to my aid!  I have 2 email accounts and one is set up to read through Outlook on my laptop, but I suppose you mean Outlook.com which is different.  I will pursue one of these options after I finish my Pinot.  :smileyhappy:  After reading the other posts I wonder if the Q 10 was really the best choice.  Texting now sounds like the alternate answer!!  Thanks again for your support.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are welcome. If you are interested in the OTA ("Over The Air") calendar/contact sync capability (with your desktop Outlook client), then you can read up on that here:

tasko wrote:

I have 2 email accounts and one is set up to read through Outlook on my laptop, but I suppose you mean Outlook.com which is different.

Yes...Outlook is your computer-based email, calendar, contact, etc. client. But you must use an email server/service of some kind in order for that client to be of any use. Outlook.com is an email, calendar, and contacts service that is the conglomeration of a lot of "older" services -- Hotmail, Windows LIVE, MSN, and a few others that I can't quite recall. MicroSoft pulled them all together into a single service, and called it Outlook.com.

tasko wrote:

After reading the other posts I wonder if the Q 10 was really the best choice.  Texting now sounds like the alternate answer!!

Well, if all one wants to do is SMS texting, then no BlackBerry (indeed, no SmartPhone of any brand!) is really an appropriate device...they have much more complications than one would want to deal with if all they want is SMS.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasko

Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasko

Well I finally got around to setting up Outlook.com for this and unfortunately it did not help.  The set up went fine, but the emails still don't send when I'm out of range of wifi.  I thought this was too good to be true.  Any suggestions?  Should I just live in the 20th century?  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

This is quite an odd result. I would of course continue to expect it for your Cogeco email (as per the KB linked in post 2 above...to my understanding, nothing about that has changed), but not for Outlook.com.

Can you confirm 100% that you cannot send via Outlook.com when you are on your mobile network data plan only (e.g., not on WiFi)? Please check very carefully that you are indeed sending via Outlook.com and not still via Cogeco.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tasko

Ok.  I think you may be on to something.  My BB is configured with account settings through cogeco.  Please let me know how to send from the BB through the Outlook.com account.   Thanks very much.

Please use plain text.