Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
dcbt
My Device: q10
My Carrier: verizon

Data usage / spikes

My wife and I have similar phone habits - email, some web browsing (but not much, certainly no music or movie downloading, etc).  She has a Galaxy S4.  My data runs 5x as high as hers...   My old Nokia phone with similar phone habits also ran about 5x less than this Blackberry.

Why is Blackberry such a data hog?  Had to up my monthly data from 2gb to 5.  Again, I don't use it for hardly anything.  I checked my usage online, and there are random spikes when I know I'm out running the dog and not even using the thing - 40 mb spikes, some even 100mb.  No applications are even open.

Any insights?

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Data usage / spikes

[ Edited ]

Good day

I heard to learn this the hard way when I got my Z10 & Q10 has the newer OS does not do data compression!

Do you have any apps running in the background? refreshing?

I got app to monitor my usage it was only was $0.99 I got Instagram sideloaded and that was my main source of data being used! 

This is the app I'm using

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25739873/?countrycode=CA

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to see what apps are refreshing in the background or do i have to download that app?  No apps are open at any time.   I haven't downloaded anything, so only what came on the phone are the only possibilities.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

So can you only have apps that came with the device?

May I ask what apps you're using?

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

Linked In and YouTube are both on there but I hardly ever use them.  Other than that, just the normal camera, maps, calendar, blah blah.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Maps will consume data... made that mistake on a trip and forgot to disable roaming before going to bed.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

[ Edited ]

Yea, I was on the phone with Verizon this morning and she said roaming is a huge data hog.  But my roaming is off, so that wasn't it.  Not that I'm roaming anyhow.  But Verizon couldn't tell me more than that about what IS causing the issue.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to revisit this. Data usage appears to be a major problem with the new BBRY phones, but there also doesn't seem to be any solution, is that a fair statement?

I just got a warning I'm at 90% data usage (after upping my plan to 5gb) with 6 days left in my cycle. That is insanity and about 8x what it used to be on my old Nokia. I see huge spikes (100+mb)when I'm asleep and not even using it.

Between the data usage, the charging issues, and my work emails no longer coming through, I'm really regretting this phone. I now see why BBRY is a sinking ship.

I will work with my employer to hopefully figure out the email issue, and the charging issue I can deal with, but I can't handle exponential data usage for no reason. I haven't found a solution via googling, so hopefully someone has some insight?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rambo47
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

LinkedIn will make periodic connections with their servers and send/receive data. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

[ Edited ]

Even if I am logged out? I logged out but maybe I need to delete the app entirely? I love how "solutions" to BBRY problems are to eliminate all functionality of the phone...

Please use plain text.