If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Trusted Contributor
rambo47
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 & Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Data usage / spikes

With 17 days left in my billing cycle I have used 270MB of my 2GB monthly allowance. Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

Verizon users with data problems - did you enable BAPlus, Verizon's backup app?  This caused so many problems for me with contacts that I wiped my device and ensured it was NOT activated. Any kind of cloud backup service will send a significant amount of data, and probably at off hours. I'd say anybody with this data issue should check all his cloud services.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

dcbt wrote:

Just wanted to revisit this. Data usage appears to be a major problem with the new BBRY phones, but there also doesn't seem to be any solution, is that a fair statement?

I just got a warning I'm at 90% data usage (after upping my plan to 5gb) with 6 days left in my cycle. That is insanity and about 8x what it used to be on my old Nokia. I see huge spikes (100+mb)when I'm asleep and not even using it.

Between the data usage, the charging issues, and my work emails no longer coming through, I'm really regretting this phone. I now see why BBRY is a sinking ship.

I will work with my employer to hopefully figure out the email issue, and the charging issue I can deal with, but I can't handle exponential data usage for no reason. I haven't found a solution via googling, so hopefully someone has some insight?

Thank you.

I do understand where your coming from but understand all the platforms are the same I don't know which Nokia device you had but there probably app or something running in back end 

5gb/month and your at 90 %? I only have 1GB I'm currently at 300 MB for the month! you should use the app I suggested or contact your carrier they can help pin point where the data is being used most!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt
My Device: q10
My Carrier: verizon

I don't even know what BAPlus is....  Besides contacting Verizon, do you know how I go about checking and / or disabling it?  thx

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rambo47
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 & Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

BAPlus is on your device as Verizon pushes it to all users. BackUpPlus is what it's called and IMHO it's a horror show. Sounds like a good freebie - backup your contacts to the Verizon cloud storage servers and you have a way to re-populate your contacts should something happen to your current device. 

If you don't ever set it up you should be fine. I don't know how to disable it once you've enabled it though. I had to wipe/restore just to get rid of it. 

If it's been set up you should see it under Settings > Security & Privacy > Application Permissions. If it's not listed you should be in the clear. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

[ Edited ]

Thanks.  But I also just realized that's probably not the problem, anyway.  Wife is also on Verizon but with a Samsung and her data usage is again 8x less than mine.  Same phone habits.  So it sounds like a BBRY issue again.

(Indeed, all that's listed under Permissions are Maps and LinkedIn...)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

[ Edited ]

Does this app (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25739873/?countrycode=CA) tell me WHAT is using data, or does it just tell me the amounts (anonymous of source)? Verizon is siting privacy policy by telling me they can't see what is causing my data usage. (There's an NSA punchline in there somewhere...)

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
RobGambino
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

It doesn't tell you which app but when you run the app you can montior the data has it goes up to see which one is using the most!

I own that app it was good suggested has I had other apps that where killing my data that I had to get rid off!

Plus its only $0.99 you can't go wrong since I owned it couple upgrades!

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dcbt

And therein lies the extreme frustration; I don't use any apps.  Ever. 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
petercreasey
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

d, Call your carrier and ask to be forwarded to BlackBerry support and have them help you isolate your problem.

This problem seems unique to your setup.

. . . . . Pete
Please use plain text.
airnomad9311
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: At&t

Hi dcbt, did you every find a solution to this?

I too have the EXACT same issue. I am on At&t, I had an iPhone 5, and recently a Nokia Lumia 920, (both devices provide penty of opportunities to be a data hog, but I've never had an issue with either.) I use a 3gb data plan and within 10 days of my new cycle, 90% of my data on the Q10 had been used. At&t is no help, the rep told me to turn LTE off manually each time via network settings. But really? I literally like clockwork use the phone for calls, text, the nextbus app, and maybe (hardly ever) web browsing.

Something is seriously wrong, I have yet to find a solution. I am on billing cycle number 2 with this phone and the same thing is happening.

The irony... I had all this opportunity to use and abuse my iphone or lumia, I streamed, watched movies, did so many more things and never (not a single time) did I reach capacity.

I tried the app suggested here, it didn't tell me anything, nothing was hogging the data.

I love the device, but this thing is going on ebay if I can't find a fix.

Please use plain text.