Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
My Device: Torch9810

Delete from Hub and Server

[ Edited ]

I have  Q10...used to have the Torch

Problem: I delete from hub and server, but e-mails don't get deleted from server.

Under "Settings" ..."Accounts"...my email says "not connected." (I hope this is relevant to my problem)

I click on email and under "Edit Account," this message, "An unexpected problem occurred with SBCGLOBAL (my server). Some features may not be working correctly."

What does that mean?

I input my "Update Password" under "Email Address" and "Save."

I back out and my email states "Email," implying that it maynow be connected.

But no...within minutes, it again notes "not connected."

Help!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Delete from Hub and Server

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (step 1 should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive

2) Reboot

• Pre-BB10 Devices ONLY. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • BB10 Devices. Hold the top button down until the counter reaches zero. Wait for the device to be fully shut down (e.g., nothing at all displayed on the screen, no LED lights, etc.). Hold the top button until the red LED is lit. Wait through the full boot-up process. IF this fails, you can attempt the battery-pull method above, but it is normally NOT recommended unless nothing else works.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

[ Edited ]

sdgardne,

Thank you for your input...I followed your advice all the way.

1. Went through the process to register (twice) but an e-mail never arrives.

When I tap the "Register Blackberry" icon, it responds with "Registration requested" and

follows with a "Registered for Blackberry Services." But no e-mail. (Am I registered?)

2.I followed the reboot process; held the button until the red light appeared. Still, no success.

I don't see that "Accounts" E-mail is connected (Calendar and Contacts are "connected.")

3. I pulled the battery and rebooted. No success.

Note: In the "Accounts" area of "Settings," under Edit, it continues to read (in red) : "An unexpected problem occurred with SBCGLOBAL.net - [personal information removed]@sbcglobal.net. Some features may not be working correctly." Hmmmm..

And, below, when it asks for my password under Email address, I comly.

Below that, it asks for my "Update SMTP Password" and I haven't included that...do I need to?

Also, under "Server Address" of rim.imap.mail.yahoo/com I see Port = 993 I have a document where I have seen that number at 995. Is this significant? I don't know how the 993 originally got there.

Finally, under "SMTP Server Address," I see SMTP Port = 465. In the document I referred to before, I saw 465.

Once again, I appreciate your assistance.

Jim

P.S. I haven't received an e-mail for a few hours. I even sent my self a "test." Something else?

Hall of Famer II

jimmylee100 wrote:

1. Went through the process to register (twice) but an e-mail never arrives.

When I tap the "Register Blackberry" icon, it responds with "Registration requested" and

follows with a "Registered for Blackberry Services." But no e-mail. (Am I registered?)

With BB10, it not an email nor any other type of message...rather, it's a pop-up message, one that can sometimes fly by quite fast. If what you state is some sort of pop-up message, then it likely worked correctly.

jimmylee100 wrote:

2.I followed the reboot process; held the button until the red light appeared. Still, no success.

I don't see that "Accounts" E-mail is connected (Calendar and Contacts are "connected.")

3. I pulled the battery and rebooted. No success.

Those steps are merely the first, and least destructive, things to try. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

jimmylee100 wrote:

Note: In the "Accounts" area of "Settings," under Edit, it continues to read (in red) : "An unexpected problem occurred with SBCGLOBAL.net - <redacted personal information>. Some features may not be working correctly." Hmmmm..

And that is exactly what we're trying to correct.

jimmylee100 wrote:

And, below, when it asks for my password under Email address, I comly.

Huh? "comly? I don't understand that bit.

jimmylee100 wrote:

Below that, it asks for my "Update SMTP Password" and I haven't included that...do I need to?

It is possible to have different passwords for inbound versus outbound email at your provider...if you have that, then indeed yes you need to do this. The BB cannot overcome a situation where you have not provided it with the necessary credentials to access your account and manage you email on the device for you.

jimmylee100 wrote:

Also, under "Server Address" of rim.imap.mail.yahoo/com I see Port = 993 I have a document where I have seen that number at 995. Is this significant? I don't know how the 993 originally got there.

Equally critical...if your provider requires a specific port number to be used for any email services, then you must program that correctly into the BB device, so that it can be allowed to access your account.

jimmylee100 wrote:

Finally, under "SMTP Server Address," I see SMTP Port = 465. In the document I referred to before, I saw 465.?

Ummm...doesn't 465 = 465? Maybe I'm missing something there? But, whatever your email service provider requires is what you must be sure is programmed into the email configuration on your BB device.

You can try the Email Account Validation Tool to see if it will provide you with the proper settings to configure into the BB email interface:

• Article ID: KB33444 How to use the Email Account Validation Tool (EAVT)

jimmylee100 wrote:

P.S. I haven't received an e-mail for a few hours. I even sent my self a "test." Something else?

Sorry? I don't understand your question...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Sdgardne,

Once again, thanks for your assistance...let me respond to your comments and give you an update.

{Huh? "comly? I don't understand that bit.} Typo...the word was "comply."

{"...then you must program that correctly into the BB device, so that it can be allowed to access your account."} Sometime in the past, I worked with my ISP provider to determine proper port nos. for my system. At the time, I had written 995 for rim.imap. With my new Q10, I see port = 993. I found out that Blackberry automatically provides the proper port no. and I shouldn't be concerned; i.e. Don't change it.

{"Ummm...doesn't 465 = 465? Maybe I'm missing something there?"} I was just mentioning that SMTP was 465 as it was when I had that same conversation with my ISP provider in the past. No big deal.

{"Sorry? I don't understand your question..."} No big deal here. I was merely noting that my e-mail reception had ceased for a time. It's working again.

So, where am I...I took your advice & had my email account validated. Still, no resolution to the issue.

I talked to an AT&T/Blackberry representative, we walked through everything and he decided I had a faulty Blackberry.

They're sending me a new Q10 and we'll begin the process anew.

Thanks again for all your good advice...I hope this resolves everything.

Jim

Hall of Famer II

jimmylee100 wrote:

{Huh? "comly? I don't understand that bit.} Typo...the word was "comply."

Ahhh...OK...thanks.

jimmylee100 wrote:

{"...then you must program that correctly into the BB device, so that it can be allowed to access your account."} Sometime in the past, I worked with my ISP provider to determine proper port nos. for my system. At the time, I had written 995 for rim.imap. With my new Q10, I see port = 993. I found out that Blackberry automatically provides the proper port no. and I shouldn't be concerned; i.e. Don't change it

With BB10, the on-device email wizard attempts to query, based on your email address, the server for all of the proper settings. Servers that respond properly then get those settings configured automatically. But, not all servers respond correctly, and one must obtain their settings manually and input them manually via the "Advanced" screens. I cannot tell you if 993 is the correct port or not for your specific email service. I can tell you that, for my Yahoo email ("standard" @yahoo.com), port 993 is correct (and works). 

jimmylee100 wrote:

{"Ummm...doesn't 465 = 465? Maybe I'm missing something there?"} I was just mentioning that SMTP was 465 as it was when I had that same conversation with my ISP provider in the past. No big deal.

Ah, OK. As with 993, port 465 is also my outbound port for my Yahoo email. But, again, my settings may or may not match what is required for your account.

jimmylee100 wrote:

{"Sorry? I don't understand your question..."} No big deal here. I was merely noting that my e-mail reception had ceased for a time. It's working again.

Ah, good!

jimmylee100 wrote:

So, where am I...I took your advice & had my email account validated. Still, no resolution to the issue.

I talked to an AT&T/Blackberry representative, we walked through everything and he decided I had a faulty Blackberry.

They're sending me a new Q10 and we'll begin the process anew.

Thanks again for all your good advice...I hope this resolves everything.

I'm glad they were able to come up with a resolution. We cannot know if that indeed will resolve it or not. One thing to carefully compare is the OS level on your current device versus what they are sending versus what is current in the world:

• Article ID: KB23393 How to check the model number and version of the operating system on a BlackBerry smartphone

The OS has improved over time, and perhaps the issues you are having have been resolved in a later OS level than you are running.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

sdgardne<

Thanks...BTW, my software release is 10.2.1.2179

I would think it's a recent release since the Q10 is only a couple months old.

Jim