Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
solarfidelity
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: A1

How do keep e mail attachements on server / reduce attachement size of pictures send by Q10

Hi there, i just have received my new BB Q10...a wonderful device, but as i am a long time user of prior BB phones i am missing the data compression now a lot...specially as i am using it a lot for international business trips and data roaming is an issue!

Now at least every Android or iPhone does have the feature that you can set e mail settings to allow keeping attachements on the server and to make manual download if you decide to open attachemnet...BB Q10 does not offer this feature....all e mails received have attachement in full size downloaded already!  :-(.

Sending an e mail and using for instance a picture, taken with Q10 also does not allow to reduce the size of the picture...(like on Android and iphone you can select...low...middle...large size at least)

For me the main reason of using blackberry was data compression and the low size of data traffic...

Now by out of the blue it is opposite!  I even cannot decide to keep attachements on server...every smartphone can do this...so BB changed from a data traffic saving item to a data traffic wasting device...:-(

This is a 100% turnaround by BB...is there any solution for BB user who do not use enterprise solution?

Will you offer those basic settings on your Q10 and Z10 devices new operating software in the next update?

This cannot be difficult!

Thanks for digging into this issue!

best regards from Vienna,

Rafael

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nizammoideen
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Qtel

Re: How do keep e mail attachements on server / reduce attachement size of pictures send by Q10

Hello,

I have the same problem. I been a BB user for years only because of the data compression on their phones. Since Q10, it has been outraging... Does any one know how to stop the automatic download of the attachments?

Thanks,
Nizam... from Qatar
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: How do keep e mail attachements on server / reduce attachement size of pictures send by Q10

Get to the email screen, then touch the menu icon (3 dotts on right), then click on Settings, then click on Display and Actions, scroll down to Download Images Automatically and turn Off. That should do it for you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nizammoideen
My Carrier: Qtel

I had this option turned off from Day 1. But it never made any difference. Most of my attachments are pdfs, will that make any difference?
Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Should not make a difference, a PDF is an attachment. I just got an email with 2 PDFs and they downloaded after I clicked the download attachment.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
solarfidelity
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: A1

i put that setting "automatic download" on OFF from the first day on...it does not make any difference.

Technical service line of my carrier in Austria (A1) told me, that this function IS ONLY AVAILABLE for BB enterprise solutions...not for "ordinary" POP accounts...

I want to give a better scope of what it means:

After 5 days of using the new Q10...my data consumption is over 450 MB! (only e mail)

Before is used up  less than 15 MB for an entire month!

Once it comes into ROAMING (important for business travellers) this is getting dramatic!

ANOTHOR issue:

Try to send a picture taken with BB Q10...Settings only allow adjustment of aspect ratio....not size...if you send for instance 3 pictures as e mail attachement...your mail has 6 to 8 MB...considering you are "under Roaming" and pay 3 Euro per MB  (CHina) you just created an e-mail worth 20 Euro approx!  There is NOT ANY WAY to reduce the picture size (as EVERY other smartphone can do) or do decide to make a picture with lower resolution....

Frankly speaking it is totally nonsense to send such big files!  100 to 300 KB file size for jpg i totally enough to watch on screen...except you want to print posters...furthermore i force the receiving party to download hugh amounts of data...

the only winners in this game a carriers....because your billing will be HIGH...

I once again make the statement that BB changed from the MOST efficient work tool to the MOST UNEFFICENT smartphone i experienced....at least for somebody who is aware about data consumption and probably for every user who is travelling a lot internationally...

before i heard business partners arguing about their iphones and android phones that they create such high roaming bills...i was smiling at them with my BB...NOW with Q10 i am in an even worse position...as those users of iphone and android phones can select between automatic download, file size and same for taking pictures and sending pictures...

To answere another question....it does not make any difference...pdf, xls, doc, jpg...all is downloaded at once...(noticable also on the green check mark next to the attachement bar...)

PLEASE BB FIND AN UPDATE SOLUTION FOR THIS! i do not want my mobile phone bill more expansive than my entire  business trip!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ijon661
My Carrier: Telus

I am constantly taking pictures of jobsites and having to email them, I just sent 6 pics @ 1.1 ratio size 8.5mb. To reduce size i am have to send them to myself and shrink down on laptop then send out to clients.Getting tired of it, support replied back there is no way to reduce the pic size before emailing it. Like the Q10 but honestly should have kept my Bold 9900 this is a real pain for me.

Please use plain text.