Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
truck2chief
My Device: torch
My Carrier: ATT
Accepted Solution

Main differences with Torch vs Q10

Sorry I tried to see if this was covered on any other thread but could not find. I do not use my bb for business like 90% of the other users here nor am as savvy with the device as most which means I like things simple. I basically just view and send a few emails daily and text a lot as well as surf the web.

I have gone from the Curve to the bold to the Torch the last year and a half. I like my keyboard and navigation ball. Reading a lot of these threads can I assume the Q10 screen is a lot smaller then the torch?.

And how easy is the Q10 to navigate?

Also I do a lot of group textng I sensed from reading other threads this is an issue?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
truck2chief

Re: Main differences with Torch vs Q10

Bump
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

Regarding screen size. If your torch screen is 100%, the Q10 screen is about 70%.

There is no track ball or track pad, so all navigation is done with touch.

I have never done group texting, so I can't comment on that.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Just upgraded to the Q10 yesterday.

• missed the precision of the trackpad
  • highlighting without a trackpad is now different.  I miss shift-trackpad drag options.
  • can't use the old SIM, need to purchase a new MicroSIM
  • LTE speeds is nice with Google Maps.  Warning, not only are connections faster, so is the consumption!  The Torch had 3 to 6 times data compression.  Many new users are not prepared for the higher consumpton.
  • yes the screen is smaller, feels like the text when I'm browsing is smaller too
  • speed dial, now requires two additional taps on the screen (I hate this).
  • perhaps I'm just too used to the 9810.  I prefer more vertical space instead of horizontal.
  • need a new belt holster case
  • battery life is excellent
  • No Google Maps app, need to use website
  • Skype is available.
  • I hope the Blackberry Milan or Blade is released.
  • I'm having troubles getting my Outlook 2007 calender synced.... others are having more success with the new Link desktop replacement software
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
truck2chief

Thanks for the responses!! I'm not sure I like 30% less screen but ill still take a look.

What will the Milan or Blade feature differently?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
truck2chief

I wonder why the track ball was removed.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk

What will the Milan or Blade feature differently?

These are still concept phones.  No word they will officially come to market....  For example, I see a trackpad on the Blade image.  (http://www.google.ca/search?q=blackberry+blade&tbm=isch)

There is a confirmation of a Z10 replacement by Christmas.  Will it be the Milan?  Or a "Z10s"?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk

[ Edited ]

In addition to retail stores, see if you can get to a Keep On Moving Van location.  There's BB experts onsite to really show what the device can do.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk

[ Edited ]

truck2chief wrote:
I wonder why the track ball was removed.

I assume the mechanical track ball was removed because of reliability (dirt? dust? grease?).  I remember replacing the $5 balls myself on my 8830 with a screw driver.

The trackpad was my favourite pointer device.  Sadly it took up space as phone buyers demanded an edge to edge screen.  I guess it was a marketing decision.

If you come from 9810 to the Q10, you'll want the screen to be as big as possible.  The trackpad would just mean a smaller screen like the 9700.  As a senior, small screens are painful to use as we want text to be big and clear.

Please use plain text.