Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
BBQ1086
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Telekom

NFC does not work

First of all, for a staff member, I would suggest BB to rename their "support" page (above all: "contact us"), as there is NO possibility to contact them directly?!

Ok, I got a problem with NFC on the Q10 (softwareversion: 10.1.0.4181). If I go to settings -> NFC and switch it on nothing happens (it shows as switched on). If I want to tap it with a NFC headset (Jabra) nothing happens as well.

If I press "back" (connections overview) it even shows the NFC connection to be switched off. That's a little bit weird. Bluetooth is working just fine though...

Appreciate you help!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: NFC does not work

Hey BBQ1086,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

Was NFC working when you first received the BlackBerry Q10?  Also have you tried sending a file or pair up with a different NFC device?

Also you can reach out to us at anytime through @BlackBerryHelp on Twitter or contact us at 1-877-255-2377 (there is a charge per incident).  Or contact your network service provider and ask to be transferred to BlackBerry which would be free.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Terri_T
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I have the exact issue.. and I dont use NFC much so I can not tell you if it worked prior to the upgrade because I have only had the phone a little over a week... BUT my bold had NFC and even NOW with it no longer connected to the network... my bold NFC turns on and lets me play musice thru NFC to a speaker... 

I can not get the NFC to work on my new Q10 with the updated software and my carrier supports it...

I have rebooted and no change,,,

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry
My Carrier: Koodo

[ Edited ]

BBQ1086 wrote:

Ok, I got a problem with NFC on the Q10 (softwareversion: 10.1.0.4181). If I go to settings -> NFC and switch it on nothing happens (it shows as switched on).

NFC does work with the Q10 .. but I would not call it easy to use.  Check out this blog and follow the link from there to smart tags.

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2013/08/how-to-share-content-using-nfc-on-a-blackberry-10-smartphone/
Enabling NFC only enables the phone to scan for NFC signals.  Finding another phone or NFC terminal is easy since they are self-powered but tags are more difficult.  An NFC tag must drain some power from the phone while the phone must minimized battery drain.  The result is low sensitivity.
The best spot for NFC read/write is on the back side near the volume controls.  Good luck.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBQ1086

Sorry guys, I did not write back to you, but the problem solved itself :smileyhappy:. I just switched the phone off that day (like every day) I wrote in here. The next day I gave it another try and it just worked fine. No problem at all to pair it with the headset since then.

But I still don't know why Bluetooth gets automatically enabled, too? I thought that was the advantage of NFC over Bluetooth (less energy consumption)..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brry
My Carrier: Koodo

BBQ1086 wrote:

But I still don't know why Bluetooth gets automatically enabled, too? I thought that was the advantage of NFC over Bluetooth (less energy consumption)..

There may be many bluetooth devices in your vicinity and you would typically need to register a device with an app in order to use it.  So some vendors stick an NFC tag on a bluetooth device as a convenience.  It is supposed to register the device so you don't need the tedium each time you use it.

Some people use NFC tags in their homes and cars so they can quickly configure the smartphone for each environment.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BBQ1086

Ah, ok, thanks for the info!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Terri_T
My Carrier: Verizon