Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
ctruc
My Device: Q10

Re: New emails show up on my Q10 as "READ" ????????

It would seem obvious that outlook is involved in the equation, though my PC has been configured the same way for my two previous BB's, a curve and most recently a Bold and they worked flawlessly.

I'm not an MS or Outlook master by any stretch of the imagination but I'm unaware of the existance of or need of for that matter of a setup function that would mark any unread emails as "READ"........

Please enlighten me......

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The old BB email was a completely different email system. You can't compare those. The BB10 devices are true email clients as opposed to having BIS do the work in the background.

Do a Google search. There are lots of options in Outlook that mark email as read. It can be marked read just from being viewed in the preview pane for a few seconds, it can be marked read when the cursor is placed on it.

I guarantee if you close Outlook and the mails stop coming in as read that Outlook is the cause. You just need to experiment with your Outlook settings until you find what works. I'll bet if you watch your webmail server page you'll see the mail being marked read there, as well. It's not the Q10 doing it. It's between Outlook and your email account. Guaranteed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Here's a thread that deals with one aspect of it:

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/787826-there-way-stop-outlook-2007-a.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor
ctruc

Hmmmm, I'm using Outlook 2010 so I'll have to poke around.  

How is the email function different between OS 7 and 10?

Guru I
John_Clark

It's an entirely different system. Then former was based on BIS which was a pile of large servers that polled your email server then sent the email to your device. A great system but reconciliation if reads and deletes left a lot to be desired.

The client on the BB10 device is a true email client and no BIS server is used. The connection is direct between the device and the mail server. No BlackBerry BIS server in between. That's why a BlackBerry data plan is not required for BB10. Any standard data plan works for email.
Contributor
ctruc

It sounds like you are describing the previouos Enterprise server system.  We never used that.  I merely used our own server as well as those from gmail and aol.

Guru I
John_Clark

Doesn't matter what server. I was thinking of Gmail but it doesn't matter as outlook does the same with marking as read no matter what kind of server you use.

Outlook is where the problem is. Guaranteed.
Contributor
ctruc

John_Clark wrote:
Doesn't matter what server. I was thinking of Gmail but it doesn't matter as outlook does the same with marking as read no matter what kind of server you use.

Outlook is where the problem is. Guaranteed.

Nope, the Outlook settings didnt have any affect.  It turned out to be the setup on the phone.  I'm not quite sure how I set it up the first time but I believe the concensus was that the phone was configured for IMAP, though my outlook is and always has been POP.

I deleted that email account on the Q10 and reloaded it.  This time I went into "advanced settings" and loaded it as a "POP" account.  NOW, the emails are arriving as unread and STAYING unread until I actually READ them on the phone.  In that my outlook is set up as POP as well, whether I read them on my PC or not has no affect on how they view on my phone.

Thanks All.....

Guru I
John_Clark

Just to be clear, you treated a symptom, not the cause. It is absolutely the Outlook setup that is marking items on the server as read. With pop there is no reconcile so it just pulls the mail down whether it's marked read or not.

I'm glad you are happy with the current setup but you didn't solve the underlying problem.
Contributor
ctruc

John_Clark wrote:
Just to be clear, you treated a symptom, not the cause. It is absolutely the Outlook setup that is marking items on the server as read. With pop there is no reconcile so it just pulls the mail down whether it's marked read or not.

I'm glad you are happy with the current setup but you didn't solve the underlying problem.

Technically,  I solved the problem which was that emails were showing up on my phone as "unread" and at some point thereafter changing to "read" without ever reading them.  At that time I had no knowledge of what the status was on the server.  That includes while I had the Bold for several years as well in that I never had cause to check the server.

Now fast forward, you are correct in that the emails are still showing as "read" on the server.  This was never my problem but is certainly an annomoly.  I have no idea at this point.  I researched Outlook solutions and found none.  I found NO OPTIONS in Outlook 10 involving server setings / notifications / read-unread / etc.  The only setting similar to what you discussed involved the "reading pane" which would have technically read the mail off the server.  All of my settings have the reading pane set to OFF, so as I said earlier it had no affect.

I have no idea where to go from there......