Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
macsamurai
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: T-mobile

No "default" setting for Contacts?

I have 3 Google Apps accounts setup on my Q10. 2 of those I sync contacts with. In the Settings > Accounts > Defaults menu, there is an option to set the default email account for new messages and the default calendar for new events, but there is no setting for default contacts. So when I enter a new contact, I have no idea which account it's being saved to. In fact, I just noticed that a new test contact I added says it's in "local contacts" - and it's been an hour and there's no sign of it in either Google account, so it's in limbo on the phone, not synced anywhere. And in the list of "address book" account on the Q10 in the Contacts app, there is no group for "local" that I can view so I am really baffled as to how I am supposed to see what else may be hiding there that I may have assumed had synced to at least one of those Google accounts, but in fact did not.  

I want all contacts, by default, to go to one of those Google Apps accounts - how do I set that? And I want to be able to see what contacts are in this weird "local" limbo so I can get them out of there since I often add new contacts straight from the phone app or from email and I wouldn't notice those contacts were never synced unless I was at my desk writing an email or about to call someone from my office phone and their contact was missing from Gmail.

To be clear - these "local" contacts are not on the SIM card (which I can view in isolation - there are 3 factory/t-mobile contacts there that i don't care about), and I can view each Google account and Facebook and BBM list in isolation - but I can't view "local" contacts in isolation so I have no idea what's stored in "local."  All I know is that new contact entries appear to only be going to "local" instead of syncing with any Google account.

I do not sync the Q10 with my Mac - it's all synced through these Google accounts OTA, so there's nowhere for "local" to sync to.  The only place I can even tell that it's a "local" contact is to open a contact and look at the Links menu. That's the only place it displays which address book the contact is in, that I can find.

Am I missing something or is contacts management just plain broken in BB10? Help?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
RoundBrown
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry 9360

Re: No "default" setting for Contacts?

Hello Macsamurai,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

First please go to the Contacts app, swipe from the top down and select Settings. Do you see Gmail® listed here? If so, this confirms that Gmail® Contacts are successfully integrated to your device.

When you add a new contact it should automatically synchronize to your Gmail® Contacts in the matter of minutes. Have you tried to add a test contact then sign into Gmail® on a computer to see if the test contact is listed under Gmail® Contacts? If it does not appear on your Gmail® contact list try to delete and reintegrate the Gmail Contacts account on your BlackBerry Q10® smartphone and test again. Please let us know how you make out.

To view your "local contacts" go to the Contact Settings and turn off all your contacts lists (BBM, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, SIM) the contacts remaining are your local contacts that you created from your device. 

Thank you for the posts and please let us know if your Gmail contacts successfully synchronize.

-RoundBrown

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
macsamurai
My Carrier: T-mobile

Thanks, RoundBrown. I've deleted and reintegrated my Gmail contacts from both of the relevant accounts 3 times already. It's about 3200 contacts and it takes more than 24 hours for them all to repopulate to the Q10 every time I do that. Not very efficient to keep doing since the whole point of my carrying the Q10 is to have 24/7 instant access to everything I need in terms of email, contacts and calendaring.

It definitely doesn't sync within minutes. It often takes hours and sometimes days, literally, for a contact to sync to or from the device. .And some just never sync at all. The sync settings for each of the Gmail accounts is set to 5 minutes. I've tried setting it to 15 and 30 minutes to see if that helped, but it doesn't.

When I turn off all of the contact lists, per your instructions above (thanks for that - sure would be nice if it were obvious!), I see about a dozen "local" contacts. Half of them actually synced to Gmail. The rest never did. And I suspect never will. None of those contacts appear in my Gmail or any other CardDAV or ActiveSync client (including 2 Blackberry Bold 9900's, an iPhone and an iPad as well as 3 Mac computers - none of which have any trouble at all with syncing my Gmail and Google Apps contacts in either direction).

If I add a new test contact on the Q10, it MIGHT sync an hour later or a few days later. Or it might never sync at all. If I add a test contact directly in one of my Gmail or Google Apps accounts, it might sync an hour later, a day later, or never at all. When I add directly to Google/Gmail from the web or from any other device, it syncs to and from every other device within minutes.

On the Q10 itself, there's no way to even take a contact that's local and not syncing and deliberately move it to another contact list that I can tell. And to make matters worse, what I just noticed is that those contacts that I do enter on the Q10, that do manage to sync to Gmail/Google - are syncing to ALL of the connected Gmail/Google accounts. I don't want work-related contacts in my personal Google Apps account and I don't want personal contacts in my work Google Apps account. How on earth do I stop this from happening? I don't want each Google account synced with each other. Why is the Q10 forcing that on me when I enter a new contact?

Seems to me that the deal with BB10 contacts in general is that contacts added on the device will sync either a) not at all or b) with every account you have connected - and there's no in-between. That's 1 step forward for Blackberry and 5 giant steps back.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but right now and I regretting the day I gave up the Bold 9900 as my primary device and switched to BB10 (i started with a Z10, which was a miserable and painful 2 weeks and then returned it and waited for the Q10, which I've now had for a few weeks and it's proving almost as miserable, but with the benefit of a physical keyboard, which is the only reason I am still bothering with Blackberry at all).

Mail, Contacts, Calendars working in harmony and syncing quickly and happily with Exchange and/or DAV and/or ActiveSync. That's what power users need and rely on. That's what Blackberry has always excelled at. That's what Blackberry has now seemingly abandoned in favor of Flashlight apps and emoticons. It's quite sad, really...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AppletonAlistair
My Carrier: airtel

hello,

I have added my personal email account to BB Q10.

Now when I get a call from one of my email contacts- I want to add their phone number to the contact list ( because I lost my prev BB phone and contacts ). where does this contact number store on the BB?

If I log off/delete this email account - would the contact/phone numbers still be available/visible on my BB device?

while it is good to link up phone contacts with email contacts. I would want the contact numbers to ve available on my BB device, even if the email account is deleted.

please advise!

cheers

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
wangpengfei
My Device: dev alpha c
My Carrier: rim

oh,my .this thing is hard . i use android wechat .this send your NO.
or try @gmail
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AppletonAlistair
My Carrier: airtel

Hi,

Is there a way for the contacts to be stored on the BB Q10 device by default?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

hello,

I have added my personal email account to BB Q10.

Now when I get a call from one of my email contacts- I want to add their phone number to the contact list ( because I lost my prev BB phone and contacts ). where does this contact number store on the BB?

If I log off/delete this email account - would the contact/phone numbers still be available/visible on my BB device?

while it is good to link up phone contacts with email contacts. I would want the contact numbers to be available on my BB device, even if the email account is deleted.

please advise!

cheers

Please use plain text.
ladis19
My Carrier: Orange France

Hi there,

I saw you tried to help Macsamurai sort out his contact syncing problem between Q10 and Gmail and was hoping you may have found a solution since then.

I have a similar problem: I can sync contacts from Gmail to the Q10 but it does not work the other way around. If I update or even delete a contact on my Q10, it does not change anything on Gmail.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Please use plain text.
MMHAMB
My Carrier: Verizon

Not sure this helps but I had a long conversation with technical customer service about my contacts recently and was clearly told that there is a limit of names/contacts that can be synced with the device. Contrary to what the customer service person told me in the store before I bought the device, the contacts memory of BB Q10 is NOT based on the overall size of memory of the device. Actually no one knows exactly how many contacts can be loaded but the estimate of the technical person was about 1000. So the 3000 plus mentioned earlier by Macsamurai or my 4500 contacts (with thousands of more individual telephone numbers) CANNOT be uploaded to the Q10 without major problems. The issue that I need help with is that I now decided to split my contact file into two and the important ones that I must have in the Q10 are down to 571 contacts (hours of work). Now the challenge I have is that I cannot find the tabs in BB Link desktop software to bring me back to setting up the basic contacts/calendar sync and therefore cannot chose the new outlook file with the smaller number. Can someone guide me on this as the help software on line is absolutely not clear either. Thanks MMHAMB
Please use plain text.