Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
Funkwrite
My Device: Blackberry Q10

Overheating Blackberry Q10

Greetings,

I have been using my Blackberry Q10 for a few weeks now and have been enjoying the new OS and the familiar physical buttons. But I have been having a recurring problem with it. The phone spontaneously starts overheating and sucking the battery dead while sitting in my shirt pocket with the screen locked.

This seems to happen most at my office where we have an exceptionally weak cell phone signal. It doesn't seem to depend on what applications are open or closed at the time.

I have already reformatted the memory card to make sure that wasn't a problem. Any other ideas about what might be causing this at times when the phone is idle? Suggestions about how to deal with this would be welcome?

Please use plain text.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Overheating Blackberry Q10

Hi Funkwrite,

If your BlackBerry Q10 is in an area with low signal, or if it continuously drops signal, this can cause increased battery drain and warmer than normal temperatures. When the signal drops, the device starts broadcasting, looking for the network, which requires more processing power and will drain the battery.

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk
My Device: Q10

Things you might try...

• consider moving your desk closer to a window.  Modern concrete buildings limit signal reception
  • consider having your carriers repeaters installed in your building to reduce areas of weak reception and dead zones.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Funkwrite

I've worked in the same office for 8 years now and carried Blackberries for at least the last four years. The cell signal has always been weak, and there's not really much I can do to boost the signal here. But it's frustrating to encouter this problem with the latest and greatest Blackberry after my two previous Blackberries didn't have this problem.

This brand-new Q10 won't even make it through a day without having to be charged in the afternoon. And so far, the suggested solutions seem to be either talking Verizon into installing a new tower or just shuttting my phone off during the day because I don't have the freedom to move my desk..This is starting to make me regret chosing the Q10 over an iPhone even though I've liked my previous Blackberries and I wanted a physical keyboard.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk

To confirm when in the offfice....

• is bluetooth turned off (it's a high drain on my phone)
  • is wifi turned off (I assume you only need it at home)
  • is NFC turned off?  Do you really need it on 24/7?

Disabling these unused wireless services should help when you are in the office.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
paulrahmanian

PLEASE!!!! This, comming from a blackberry advisor?!!? Weak signal makes the phone consume more battery?!

I have exactly the same issue; phone heats up for no apparent reason, once or twice a day! When I say heats up, I don't just mean it getting warm..... gives you the impression that it is going to explode! Battery does not last more than half a day, with average usage of phone, no bluetooth, no wireless on, no applications running in the background!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
omargaizi
My Device: BB Q10

Hi,

The BB10 has 3G and 4G features, which was not available in some of the pervious modules. At the same time your service provider might have a strong network signal for 2G and not as strong for 3G or 4G. That’s might be the reason for getting a weak signal.

Please try to switch to 2G network only for few day and see if it make a difference, this would also reduce your battery consumption drastically

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Funkwrite

I've had wifi and nfc turned off already. I'll try disabling Bluetooth to see if that help although it will be a bit of a pain to remember to turn it back on every time I go out to the car.

On the network connection front, I may not be able to pick the lesser network. When I change the verizon settings to the option for 3G and/or 2G the phone can't find any network and I'm prompted to return to "Global mode" where the phone automatically searches for best signal and bounces back and forth between 4GLTE and 3G all day.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
omargaizi
My Device: BB Q10

Can you keep it on 3G network only

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
paulrahmanian

What is the point of having a 4G or LTE phone, if you have to keep it on 3G to operate, or I better say, not to explode?!

Please use plain text.