Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
omargaizi
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: Etisalate

Re: Overheating Blackberry Q10

If you have a weak signal in a location like office and spending the whole day at work. The phone might get overheated and consume battery to search for the signal. This apply to all phones.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
paulrahmanian
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: AT&T

1. I have been sitting in the same ofiice for the last four years, it is not something new and have always carried 2 BlackBerry devices at the same time, including 9900!

2. Searching for better coverage, consuming more battery or slightly warming up has to be differentiated from going through a full charge in half a day and warming up to over 100 degrees!

3. Hope I'm not misrepresenting my opinion about Q10, I think it is a great phone, but BlackBerry has to get their act right!! There are 1000 and 1000 posts on the forums, all complaining of the same exact symptoms! Someone needs to pay attention! 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sheldonbk
My Device: Q10, Z10, PlayBook 32

The 9900 did not support LTE networks. Verizon I understand has a good LTE network but it's possible that you're in an area with a weak LTE signal. Changing from LTE... to the setting immediately below dramatically improves battery signal. So, if you don't need the LTE speed, or are in an area with weak LTE signal, it makes sense to drop down from it.

I have also experienced some hot battery situations related to extensive work on the contact list, such as immediately after adding an account with sync'd contacts/calendars like Outlook.com, Gmail and 365. Until the accounts are sync'd for the first time, I notice that the device is hotter than usual, and battery life is shorter than usual.

All that said, I personally have always had extra batteries ready to swap. I can get 9-15 hours on my Q10 but needed 3 batteries to get through a day on my Z10. At least we have the ability to swap batteries unlike some devices.
Twitter: @sheldonbk
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vipinsachdev
My Carrier: Aircell

Hi,

My Q10 too some times is so hot that the impression is that it is going to explode. The battery drains from 50% to 0 in about 2 hours. There are no programmes running during this period. I keep the Q10 next to the AC vent to cool it. Surprisingly after a recharge all is well for the next few days after which this issue appears again.

I hope God is kind & this issue does not happen again.

Vipin.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vipinsachdev

Hi,

My Q10 too some times is so hot that the impression is that it is going to explode. The battery drains from 50% to 0 in about 2 hours. There are no programmes running during this period. I keep the Q10 next to the AC vent to cool it. Surprisingly after a recharge all is well for the next few days after which this issue appears again.

I hope God is kind & this issue does not happen again.

Vipin.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
McJagger
My Carrier: Rogers

I'm having the same problem and i've tried a lot of things to pin point the core issue. So far here is what I have found:

Problem: Battery goes from 100% to 0% in 6-8 hours with normal use; normal use as-in;

-Used to send/receive less than 50 emails

-With no music/radio or any other app running in the background

-WiFi, Bluetooth and NFC switched off

-Display is set to the lowest brightness

-The phone was in a high signal reception area.

Things I tried to resolve the issue (and all attempts were unsuccessful)

-Forcing the phone to stay on 3G instead of 4G or LTE

-Reloading the operating system

-Reloading the operating system and no installing any extra apps (other than what came with the phone, and I didn't configure/run those apps either)

The only thing that made a slight difference was removing the battery and putting it back in. That caused the phone to last 10 hours, but I have to do that every two days anyways because if I don't, then I stop receiving emails and people get mad at me for not responding!!! On the first day it runs cool and drains in 10 hours. On the second day the phone runs warm/hot and drains battery in 6-8 hours.

The BB 9700 that I had lasted 3-days on a single charge (with 40 emails sent/received every day).

With the BB Q10's battery issue, I do not feel confident in travelling with it as I don't want to be stuck at an airport with a dead phone and no phone number memorized!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sheldonbk

I'm wondering just how "hot" these hot batteries in this thread are and what the official acceptable range is, assuming that one is published. Apps like Battery Guru show all kinds of battery stats, both static and via charts. The battery temp there is a way of quantifying just how hot a battery actually is. I've seen 37 (celcius) which feels hot but seems (gut feeling, not scientifically or officially) well within the normal operating range.

There have been occasions when I have seen 40 or higher and it seems that above 40, battery life is seriously affected.

I'm assuming that at a certain temperature, it would be considered a hardware issue subject to repair/replacement under warranty, but again that's an assumption.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Funkwrite
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I haven't tracked the exact temp of my overheating battery, but the problem has a clear impact on battery life. On days, when the phone doesn't overheat, I can get through the entire day without any problem on a single charge. That's what I would expect from a brand new cell phone, especially one like the Q10 that was touted to have great battery life because of the battery size, screen size and other decisions Blackberry made.

So far the only suggestions I've seen aren't very helpful. Forcing the signal down to 3G doesn't work because then my phone can't find any network. I hope Blackberry is working on a fix for this that might come in an OS upgrade. I can't imagine that my phone and the other commenters here are the only ones threatening to melt down.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vipinsachdev

Hi,

I believe it is faulty hardware, hence i will not like the phone to blow up or burn in my pocket. I will be sending this to the service centre for replacment. It is a pity BlackBerry continues to produce substandard phones.

Vipin

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sheldonbk

I'm sure that I saw a comment that the battery saving tips are all being followed earlier in the thread. However, it never hurts to review them. So, also for anyone else checking out this thread, here's BlackBerry's blog post on battery saving tips. It says it's for the Z10 but the same tips would apply to the Q10 and Q5 devices:

Ten ways to extend your BlackBerry Z10 battery life «Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Please use plain text.