Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
solarjourney
My Device: q10
My Carrier: telus

Password Keeper Reset Itself

Way to go Blackberry, another big disappointment. I opened up my Password Keeper app and found it had magically reset itself and all my entries are gone. Keep up the good work. No wonder your company is going down the toilet.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Password Keeper Reset Itself

I have had the Z10 for a year and the PK never once reset itself. Are you sure someone didn't pick it up and attempt to access it? If one enters the password 10 times incorrectly the password keeper will wipe itself to protect your data.

Additonally, the Password Keeper app has an export function where you can make a backup of the PK database to an SD card, Dropbox, etc. Did you export your PK database to make a backup?

Neither of these things sound, to me, like BB's fault. Seems like they gave you the tools you needed but you didn't use them. They gave you a secure device and it did it's job. Again, the PK didn't just wipe itself with no outside help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
solarjourney

Hi John thanks for responding.

I'm sorry I said Blackberry is going down the toilet.  It was a crappy thing to say.

Yes I have everything backed up in digital and analog (paper) formats.

I am certain nobody tried to access my PK.  I noticed that the PK interface on my Q10 is now different than it used to be.  At the enter password screen there is now an icon of a safe there, where there wasn't before.  This leads me to believe that PK was updated on my phone.  I have experienced loss of data when BB has updated other things in the past.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.2.1.3247; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

That screen in PK hasn't changed since BB10 first came out. There has always been a safe icon there. There was a PK update a month or so ago that added the import/export feature but I haven't heard of anyone losing their database after installing it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
solarjourney

[ Edited ]

Wrong.  I am telling you with all certainty that my PK app never had a little safe icon on the enter password screen before.  This new little safe icon is animated with a little dial that turns every time you enter a character, then gives a green dot when it is successful.  I am 100% certain this safe icon was never there before.  I am positive this app was updated on my phone because there are also new features that werent there before like Edit Labels.

So I just spent some time putting a whole bunch of passwords back into the PK app.  I then exited the app and went back in and it says "No Passwords."  All the data I just entered is gone.  I tried a few test passwords again and it doesnt keep the data.

So basically my password keeper app was updated without my approval or knowledge, wiped out all my passwords and not is not working properly by not saving any of the data i input.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Ok, on one point, you're correct. The safe icon came with OS 10.2 which has been out for quite some time. It was the same just without the safe icon.

However, one thing is for certain the app cannot be updated without your knowledge. That's just not possible. Did you update your OS recently? Did you update a long list of apps in BBWorld and not pay attention to what got updated?

Edit labels has definitely been in the PK for ages. I've used that since day one of having a BB. It may have been located in a menu or something but has always been there.

You have something else going on. I have never had any issue with the Password Keeper app. That is one app that has been flawless throughout BB10.

I would remove PK and reinstall from BBWorld. Something is glitched.

Oh, and name-calling always helps.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

PK is always very reliable for me. As with any app from Blackberry World, it does only update when you click "Update". It never updates itself.

One thing that confused me first on the Q10 is that you can have 2 PK stores, one on the work store and one on the private store.

Are you connected to the enterprise with your Blackberry?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

freakinvibe wrote:
...One thing that confused me first on the Q10 is that you can have 2 PK stores, one on the work store and one on the private store.

That I did not know, though it makes perfect sense.  Thanks for that info!

John

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Swisscom

There was an issue if you installed the PK app in the personal and in the work area. One store was not restorable.

The recommendation from Blackberry was just to download the app in one of both areas, but not in both. See:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33622

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Thanks once again!
Please use plain text.