Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
vince182
My Device: BlackBerry Q10
Accepted Solution

Proximity Sensor Q10 issues

Hello guys, currently i have q10 on sqn 100-3 model. Recently I just update to the official os update 2941 OTA. After upgrading it, i notice that my proximity sensor seems odd. When having a phone call it doesn't turn my screen off so i need to puss the power to make the screen off to avoid unwanted touch, but however in virtual expert, my proximity sensor passed perfectly with near and far detected.
I don't know how to fix it, does anyone ever experienced it? Hope for any feedback.
Thank you
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Proximity Sensor Q10 issues

Try removing the battery to reboot the device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vince182

is it the same with the restart option by holding the power button John? I guess if that battery pull is the same then I'm afraid i done it few times with still issues not solved yet. 

Appreciate and thank you for your feedback 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

It depends on how long you hold it. However it doesn't hurt anything to pull the battery. Just pull the battery and see if that helps.

If not, do you have any 3rd party apps installed?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vince182

I've try security wiping and still my screen won't off when having a call. I notice that I use a tempered glass screen guard for my Q10, maybe this is the source of the problem. I'll try to remove it and see what's happen. Weird thing is that my proximity sensor works perfectly on virtual expert which really confused me, if it's not working or broken, it supposed to show a malfunction at virtual expert right? Which mean my sensor is not broken, just ain't do the job in having calls. Is there any way to check whether my proximity sensor is working or not besides using the virtual expert John?

Posted from my precious BlackBerry Q10
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Can you check the position sensor? The phone has to be in a certain position in order to be turned off when out up to your ear. For example if you're on a call and you set the phone down on a table, flat, and try to cover the proximity sensor it won't turn off the screen. However, if you hold it to your ear in that position it will turn off the screen. See if you can test that sensor in the BBVE.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vince182

Issue solved John! Indeed, it is my tempered screen guard is the problem. When I removed it it works perfectly and yes it has to be hold up straight with the power button upwards to make the sensor working. Thanks John.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Excellent!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
hlc2012

what is a proxmity sensor?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

It senses when the device is close to something, like the side of your face/ear when you hold it while talking on the phone. It is supposed to turn off the display.
Please use plain text.