Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
calawson
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Telus

Q10 Screen Lock Problems

I have two issues with screen lock on my Q10.  First, when the phone is in sleep mode, pressing any of the number keys wakes up the phone and activates the lock screen.  I would like to know why this happens -- it doesn't make sense to me that any of the keys should work when the phone is locked.  Is this a software issue?

Secondly, when I remove the phone from the holster, the lock screen activates which is fine (I have the phone set to lock when in holster).  However keys get pushed randomly while removing the phone from the holster.  For example, the password field can get populated as the phone is being removed.  The alt key and the shift key also can get pushed inadvertently. Again, is this a software issue?  It doesn't make sense that keys should be active until the phone is well out of the holster and the lock screen is activated.    

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Q10 Screen Lock Problems

Hey calawson,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

I would like to investigate this issues more in depth.  What version of BlackBerry 10.1 are you running?  Go to Settings>About to find this information.

Just to clarify on the first issue, if you press any of the keys it will wake the screen but it still will be locked.  This is by design.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
eurokuzzik
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

No. If you press any of the keys on my q10, nothing happens except the screen lights up.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
calawson

Thank you ViciousFerret for your reply.  I am running 10.1.0.273.

With respect to the first issue, only pressing the number keys on my Q10 wakes the device and takes me to the lock screen.  (Same function as if I press the power button.) Pressing any others does nothing.  I can accept this if it is by design.  However, my biggest problem is that once the device is awake and I am on the lock screen, the shift and alt keys start working (before I swipe up to unlock the phone).  This is a problem because these keys can be pressed inadvertently.  Then once the device is unlocked, you have to press them again to de-activate them. 

This happens frequently when I remove the device from the holster.   I have the device set to lock automatically when in holster.  Once I remove the device from the holster, it wakes up and takes me to the lock screen.  Once I swipe up, I find that the alt and shift keys have frequently been activated. 

I don't think these keys should become active until the device is unlocked, or, when removing from holster and the device is set to lock automatically, when the enter password dialogue is presented.   

Thanks again for your help. 

Please use plain text.
allen_h
My Carrier: S

I'am on 10.1.0.238.
From sleep mode, the lock screen will only appear when I press the q,w,e,r,a,s,d,f,z,x,c,0. Any reason why only these keys?

Also at the lock screen there is a camera button that appears there, but nothing happens when clicked.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
McJagger
My Carrier: Rogers

I have noticed this too. It happens quite often.

I'm on 10.1.0.273

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey Calawson,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Also just to clarify my reply, all the number keys and Q, A will wake up the screen.  There is no reasoning why these keys have been chosen to wake up the BlackBerry Q10 smartphone.

I can definitely see your concern as if you are putting the BlackBerry Q10 in a holster and the padding is touching the ALT or Shift key it will be enabled when you unlock or even wake the screen of the BlackBerry Q10.

There is no way to stop the ALT or Shift key from not being active when BlackBerry Q10 is locked.

I hope this information helps, be sure to let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
calawson

Thanks Vicious Ferret for your reply.   I really appreciate the time you've spent looking into this. 

Odd ... the Q and A keys do absolutely nothing when my device is in sleep mode:  Only the number keys activate the lock screen.  Does that mean my device is defective? 

I really don't care very much if some or even all of the keys activate the lock screen if that is the design.  My issue is really just that the alt and shift keys become active on the lock screen.  You say there is no way to stop this.  With all due respect, I've worked in IT for over 25 years and I know that there is very little, if anything, that cannot be done. 

In any case, I really think that the Q10 is a great phone ... Prior to having the Q10 I had Blackberrys for years but got caught up in all the hype last year and got a Galaxy S3, which everyone thinks is so great.  I much prefer my Q10.  Having said that, I do hope that Blackberry continues to take user feedback serioiusly and make continuous improvements.  I still think this business about the alt and shift keys needs to be addressed.  

Thanks again.    

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zac08
My Carrier: M1

I agree with the alt and shift buttons being very irritating.  I often unlock the screen to see either of the buttons activated and when I type in a reply, I'd have to stop, delete the wrong character and re-key in my messages and this wastes my time and effort.

There was never such a problem previously and why do we have to get bothered with such issues?

Also, when the alt button is activated, I'll try to deactivate it by pressing the alt button once more and now the search app pops up.  How do I disable this Search app from constantly popping up?

Really fustrating...

Please use plain text.
Cheech22
My Device: q10
My Carrier: MTN

Hello Vicious Ferret,

My battery ran down completely. While it was thus low, I wasnt able to perform any functions that required sliding to accomplish. I attributed this to the low battery. Even when I was able to power up the phone, the problem persisted and so I have been unable to perform any functions on the phone as I cannot even unlock it to gain access.

Please use plain text.