Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
MarkTexas
My Device: Q10

Q10 contacts not available to BMW Bluetooth system..............

I have a (roughly) four month old Q10.  When I originally paired it to my MINI Bluetooth system, it worked fine and my contacts were available in the MINI's display dialog.

A couple weeks ago, I added a Microsoft Hosted Exchange Server email account to the Q10's account list.  From that point forward (give or take) the only data displayed in the MINI's phone book display was the corresponding phone number for the contact.  No other data.

A couple days ago, I acquired a new BMW X5.  The MINI and BMW Bluetooth systems are very similar (both BMW systems) and I'm still experiencing the same problems.  Nothing but the phone number is displayed in the X5 dialog.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks

New Contributor
mjfein
My Device: BB Q10

Re: Q10 contacts not available to BMW Bluetooth system..............

I also have a Q10 and a 2013 X5.  When the Q10 pairs with the X5 via Bluetooth my phone book contacts are displayed by phone number.  Even though the option for the phoe book display was selected as  LAST NAME, FIRST NAME.

Called BMW but they were no help.

My Q10 messages (email) are displayed on the BMW screen correctly and i can receive and make calls without problem.

But the contact list displayed by phone # is worthless.   I've deleted the phone numerous times and re paired it but same result on Contacts listing by phone #.

Any one know a solution. Thanks...

Super Contributor
MrDJ
My Device: Q10 (rip Torch)

cant help with the X5 but my new 3 series bmw connected straight away with the full list of names and numbers on screen and i even got a pretty bmw logo on my Q10 which is only a week old.

which operating system have you got loaded on your phone. have you updated to the latest (whatever the number is) as there seems to be quite a lot of people suffering with various problems.

i updated at the weekend but havnt connected phone since so will try it tonight on way home from work and post back later.

since the update ive noticed my contacts have duplicated themselves in the contacts list and i had to manually go through 260 names and numbers and manually delete the duplicate entry.

New Contributor
mjfein
My Device: BB Q10

Thank you Mr DJ.  My Q10 has the latest sware available in the States from Verizon which is Ver 10.1.0.4189.  I and other are awaiting Verizon to release 10.2 for my Q10.

I recall I did not have this issue of just phone #s being stored & displayed on the BMW.  Before a prior update to the BB 10 sware on the Q10 the contacts were stored on the iDrive by name as you would expect.  So I suspect it was something BB did in a recent sware update and I'm awaiting 10.2 hoping that it corrects the issue.

I've read some have downloaded an unofficial 10.2 and the problem went away but I don't want to run risk of other issues with unreleased sware.

But I do know the Q10 was working correctly with the BMW X5 when I first acquired the Q10 when Version first released it in the US  .  Thanks again... 

New Contributor
MarkTexas

I have made progress on my original issue, but it took some time to figure things out.

The problem on my Q10 started while it was still connected to the MINI that I was driving at the time.  After the software update that was downloaded to the device, around early September sometime, the MINI Bluetooth display began showing only numbers, no associated names.  Since I was about to trade the car, I ignored the problem.

I did try syncing the phone with BB Link on two different computers (one office, one home office), but only wound up with two duplicate contact lists on the device.

When I acquired the X5 on October 1st and paired the phone, same display issues.  So I contacted RIM tech support and spent about an hour sitting in the vehicle, trying different actions, to no avail.

Being kind of fed up with the problem, and all the time it was using up, I responded with the usual email message to the open case log with my usual "since you can't fix the problem, thanks for the brick" dialog.

RIM responded with a detailed message advising me to do a security wipe (after backing up of course) on the Q10, then add back my Microsoft Hosted Exchange email account credentials.

This fixed the problem.  I have not reentered some of my other email accounts, which I thought might have a negative effect.  Since most of my correspondence and calendar are on the Hosted Exchange account, I'm in pretty good shape and don't want to do anything to screw it up again.

Super Contributor
MrDJ
My Device: Q10 (rip Torch)

sounds like youve had some fun :smileysad:

here in the UK 10.2 was released last week i think and ive updated it. connected ok tonight for me.

hope it holds up and works flawlessly for you from now on.

im still having fun with the speed dialing which doesnt work.

Contributor
caribbeansun
My Device: Z10, Playbook

I have the exact same issue - 2013 X5 and all contacts are just phone numbers using a Z10.

Very frustrating as it renders the phonebook as useless.

Messages are received and displayed for all email accounts correctly but contacts are a no-go.

There doesn't seem to be a way to unpair the device from the X5 on the X5 nav system

New Contributor
MarkTexas

I'm afraid the only help I can provide is what I've noted above.  A backup, security wipe, restore, and reentering your email account credentials may be the only way to solve the problem.

You will also have to pair your handheld to the X5 again, as the security wipe will remove the link.

Sorry I can't provide a simpler, more elegant solution.

My Q10 continues to work fine with the BMW interface since I performed the procedure.

randall59

I have a BMW X3, 2013. I have a Q10 BB. I am having the same issue as some whereas my contact list is not displaying names. It only displays numbers, which is pretty much useless. I know it is a Blackberry issue because I paired other mobile devices to the car (Iphone, Galaxy) and they worked fine. Blackberry or Bell Mobility have no answers for me. Anyone know a resolution to this annoying issue? Thanks.

New Contributor
MarkTexas

The only thing that worked for me was doing a security wipe on the phone.  Do a backup pre-wipe and and restore for anything you want back.  I was using hosted Exchange, so all I had to do was re-input the email account credentials to repopulate my contacts.  My phone has worked fine with the X5 interface since the episode about six months ago.  I wasted A LOT of time with BB and AT&T tech support before the BB folks suggested this method.