Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
JM79
My Device: Q10

Q10 deleting messages by itself

I have recently swapped my iPhone for a bbQ10 as thought it would be better for work. At the moment it is making it about 1000 times worse. My q10 is deleting emails from my handset without being asked to. It seems to be connected to the "email sync" timescale as when this is set to 30 days it deletes 30 days worth of emails , if it set it to 5 days it deletes 5 days etc. Can someone help? I would call blackberry direct but clearly they don't want anybody to do this as it is impossible to find a telephone number anywhere- presumably because they don't want anyone like me complaining. Wish I'd stayed with my iPhone !!
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Q10 deleting messages by itself

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First, let's clear up something...

JM79 wrote:
I would call blackberry direct but clearly they don't want anybody to do this as it is impossible to find a telephone number anywhere- presumably because they don't want anyone like me complaining.

Actually, the situation is contractual. By contract, BlackBerry cannot (and has never been allowed to) provide any front line support for anything. That responsibility falls to the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers -- it varies by region and issue. The BlackBerry support model is different from the Apple model...not wrong, just different.

JM79 wrote:
My q10 is deleting emails from my handset without being asked to. It seems to be connected to the "email sync" timescale as when this is set to 30 days it deletes 30 days worth of emails , if it set it to 5 days it deletes 5 days etc.

If I understand you correctly, this sounds WAD -- Working As Designed. The device is designed to replicate the contents of your BB and your server...do something on one, and it reflects on the other. But, that mirroring is within the timeframe as specified by that setting you've found. If you set it to 5 days, you only see on your device a mirror from your server within that time window...set it to 30, and you see it in that time window.

It's not that it "deletes 30 days worth of emails"...rather, it reflects a rolling 30-day window of time ("today" and 30 days prior) between the server and the device interface. But what falls before that time setting remains on your server, unaffected by this setting. 

Depending on your OS level (I've read that it's available in 10.1.x.x), you may have a setting of "Forever" that you can set.

If something else is happening, then you indeed may have some issue that needs formal attention (via those contractually required formal support channels, btw).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
JM79

Firstly thank you for your email. It does seem strange to me that you can sell a product but basically say you are then not permitted to help your customers who experience problems. Plus you should be aware that when I spoke to Vodafone they told me to contact RIM so between you one of you needs to decide who has responsibility for your customers. Having said that I am pleased to have finally found someone who seems to know what they are talking about. I am no IT expert so do not fully understand all of what you have said however I do know that by setting the timeframe to 30 days on my blackberry it has moved 30 days worth of emails to my deleted items folder on my work lap top ( meaning they are now jumbled in with the 100s of other emails I receive each day and have already deleted) costing me hours of lost work. I understand that the blackberry mirrors what is on the server but surely setting the 30 day timeframe shouldn't then move those emails to deleted items on my laptop? I did think to try the "forever" option but I am very concerned this will then move ALL my emails to deleted items. Can you provide an assurance this will not happen? Thanks
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...it seem that more clarifications now needed for you...

JM79 wrote:
It does seem strange to me that you can sell a product but basically say you are then not permitted to help your customers who experience problems.

That's not quite what I said...what I said was that BlackBerry cannot provide formal front line support...there is an escalation channel to which those responsible for front line support have access. But, contractually, those front line entities hold front line support responsibility for their customers.

It also is a bit moot...the support model is what it is...no one here can change that. I've often found that, when I know "the rules of the road", I'm much happier in general since I know what to expect, and I also can then know when my expectations may be out of bounds, and can reset those to what indeed is in bounds.

JM79 wrote:
Plus you should be aware that when I spoke to Vodafone they told me to contact RIM so between you one of you needs to decide who has responsibility for your customers.

I don't work for BlackBerry, nor is this site a channel for any communications with, escalation to, nor support from BlackBerry for any purpose whatsoever. Refer to this information posted at the top of every page of this site, and covered in the Ts and Cs you agreed to when you registered here:

BSCF User Comm.JPG

Since I'm just another user, I have no way to control the training levels that the agents at your carrier receive; clearly, the one you spoke to was not the recipient of the best of that. Indeed...they perhaps gave you at least two bad pieces of information:

1. That coming here was contacting BlackBerry
  2. That you needed to separately (from them) contact BlackBerry

Neither of those are correct...only the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers have access to the formal channel by which to escalate end user cases up to BlackBerry that require such. End users have no free path around that contractually required support model (which, btw, the end user also agreed to as part of their contracts for devices and/or services).

JM79 wrote:
I do know that by setting the timeframe to 30 days on my blackberry it has moved 30 days worth of emails to my deleted items folder on my work lap top ( meaning they are now jumbled in with the 100s of other emails I receive each day and have already deleted) costing me hours of lost work. I understand that the blackberry mirrors what is on the server but surely setting the 30 day timeframe shouldn't then move those emails to deleted items on my laptop? I did think to try the "forever" option but I am very concerned this will then move ALL my emails to deleted items. Can you provide an assurance this will not happen?

Since I don't have your device in my hands, I can assure you of nothing. And, even if I did, what you describe is definitely not normal, and I cannot understand why it's happening for you. Hence, you can either try to resolve it yourself (perhaps by removing and re-integrating the email account on your BB) or seek formal support from your contractually required channel.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
JM79

Thanks again. Given you don't even work for blackberry I am very grateful for the time you have spent replying. I still think that basically relying on the small print in contracts to prevent the company from helping its users is not the way to treat customers. All I know is that if you go onto the blackberry website and say you need help for your q10 this is where it directs you . There is no individual email address / contact no it gives you. Anyway thank you for your efforts. If there is any chance of anyone actually from blackberry ever reading this I think they should give you a job .....
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

JM79 wrote:
Thanks again. Given you don't even work for blackberry I am very grateful for the time you have spent replying.
 Anyway thank you for your efforts. If there is any chance of anyone actually from blackberry ever reading this I think they should give you a job .....

You are welcome.

JM79 wrote:
I still think that basically relying on the small print in contracts to prevent the company from helping its users is not the way to treat customers.

The merits (and de-merits) of the support model have been debated (to death!) in these forums. I gave up on that debate long ago, for there is nothing I can do to affect it, and the debate changes nothing about what the required channels are for seeking support.

JM79 wrote:
All I know is that if you go onto the blackberry website and say you need help for your q10 this is where it directs you 

I've not looked at any of their websites (they have many) recently to see what they are doing and saying in that regard.  It would not at all surprise me that they push to this site...but hopefully they do so with appropriate wording so as to set the proper expectations. And then there is the information that this site provides (e.g., that banner at the top of every page), supplemented by the answers that the volunteers here give out.

Our goal is always to get the person pointed in the right direction to receive the support they need as quickly as possible. Sometimes we can give them things to try that will fix their situation. Other times we have to point them to their formal support channel (e.g., when "internet distance" diagnosis is inadequate, only in-hand evaluation can provide useful help).

JM79 wrote:
There is no individual email address / contact no it gives you.

I fear that the list would be quite huge...given that formal support is a matter of dealing with the end users direct "next in chain" entity (e.g., the carrier, the reseller, a service center), it would be quite an undertaking for them to list all that they could possibly be...since the website can know nothing about the actual person who is browsing, they cannot provide the specific information for that person. Hence, they would have to provide all possibilities. As example...if the issue requires support from the carrier, review:

That's a list (not even complete, I think) of all of the BB supporting carriers in the world...expanding that to also include their contact information would make for a rather large web page indeed! And that does not even begin to encompass the resellers and service centers.

The model is that, at time of device purchase / service subscription, the seller is supposed to communicate with the buyer concerning the methods of support that are available. That way, the information can indeed be specific to that one buyers situation, rather than attempting to generically cover the thousands of different possible methods that may exist for all buyer/seller combinations in the world.

Sadly, it all too often turns out that such information is not effectively communicated to the buyer...which is why we have these forums, so as to supplement and reinforce that which should have been communicated a the time of the original transaction.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates