Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Q10 worst "new" device ever!

Short... I think you'll continue to see those users return.

I have seen what you've seen. There's been a mass exodus, mainly in North America.

But we're still such a small part of the world, although a large part of the market opinion drivers.

Meanwhile, the BlackBerry has outsold other devices in Canada and the UK last quater, I think it was.

While many have gone to the iPhone and Droid, I'd say half of those hate those devices.

I do still have loads of friends on the BlackBerry, so perhaps my anecdotal experience and current statistics will win in the long run.

So, what are YOU going to do, that's the main question.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dsn101
My Device: 9650 (formerly Q10)
My Carrier: VZW

Q10 worst "new" device ever!

[ Edited ]

What will I do? Keep this Q10 until Day 13 and then return it to VZW, after which I'll revert to my 9650.

As I wrote previously, I'll then wait for the new iPhone to decide upon which device will end up in my pocket.

I disagree with your presumption that those who migrated away will continue to return.

You don't have to take my word for it, but I'm intimately familiar with the managing partner mindset. They will not return any time soon, if at all. And why not? Because their spouses and kids are on iPhone. Because they can't justify migration cost for their firms, particularly after migrating away and spending unreasonably on integration of iPhones.

The rest of the world to which you referred is no reliable market for BB or other pricey devices. Not yet. Not for years to come. And the company doesn't have years to wait until the rest of the world can afford the devices.

There are a few ways to reclaim those lost users. But BB is clueless because they don't understand those consumers. The best the company can do is own niche groups into eternity, then leverage off them to expand some. The mass market has not belonged to BB, and won't belong to BB based upon the current 10s.

Yes, IMHO. I hope otherwise, but I believe I'm spot on.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

dsn101 wrote:

The mass market has not belonged to BB,

Oh?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dsn101

The mass market has not belonged to BB/ RIM in any contemporary sense.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

dsn101 wrote:

The mass market has not belonged to BB/ RIM in any contemporary sense.

eh? You showing your age?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dsn101

I suppose I am showing my age. But I'm neither shy nor embarassed to do so.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

But there seems to be a lack of knowledge showing also.

Therefore that invalidates everything else else you've said. Sorry. :smileysad:

(lol, just kidding, but you're wrong about that!)

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dsn101

Okay, if you say so.

No worries at my end.

Have a good night. D

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
lmgeuk
My Device: Leaving Q10 for the 9900

What a fascinating thread!

What fascinates me the most is the position J Sanders is taking - which is to effectively say "I dont agree with you, and I know a handful of others that agree with me, therefore you are wrong and I will shut my ears and dig my heals in"

Without even considering the merits of the arguments on either side (which frankly do not matter in this context), this may very well be the core issue that we are looking at with the Q10 (please note - the Z10 is completely irrelevant and unrelated to this topic).

The customer (dsn in this case) is simply saying - this is not what I wanted.  I am disappointed in the new product - I want my old product back.

BBY (Sanders in this case) is taking the position - we like it, we think it is the best thing there is and that it is better than our main competitors - therefore we will stick with it.  If you don't agree, we will try to convince you and, if that does not work, accept that you are leaving.  Actually, we are so confident that you will see it our way, that we will assume you will be coming back eventually.

This is a new product launch very similar to the "New Coke" in my mind - on paper and perhaps in blind testing, Coka Cola was right (fact), but the customers did not want it.  Coke relented and brought back the "Classic Coke" and continued to dominate the cola wars (after healing the bruises).

BBY - You are playing a dangerous game with your shareholders' money.  I, and many with me, would appreciate if you could listen to this this type of feedback and bring back the "Classic BBY".  I, for one, will neither go to iPhone or Samsung, I will go back to the Bold, and if that is withdrawn from the market and replaced with all "i-style" devices, I will buy a telephone (I have no idea which one) and ask my secretary to handle the appointments and print them out on paper.

Sorry - another analogy just came back - when Apple introduced the Macintosh 128k (we all called it macintrash), I was forced to buy one as a policy at the University I was at.  I hated it so much, I threw it in the river one hour after graduation, and vowed to never buy another apple product again in my life - I have kept my promise so far, and I will for the rest of my life (My wife had to buy the daughter's iPad toy, and I do not use it).

BTW - my first BBY was an 850 (in the late 90s).  I loved it and have had the latest generation BBY in my hand ever since (I even had a Torch). 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dsn101

I appreciated your thoughts.

Allow me to ask some specific questions:

1. In the browser, how can bookmarks be reorganized, such as to alphabetize?

2. Would you be able to advise how to determine whether or not my BlackBerry email address still exists?

I had a BlackBerry email address, @vzw.blackberry.net, and am uncertain it still exists.

A test email sent to it from a separate email account bounced back as undeliverable.

Previously, email to that BlackBerry address was elivered only to my 9650.

3. Referring back to an earlier exchange, is it possible to permanently select display of battery charge percentage?

Bezel > Settings > About > Category > select Hardware.

So far, this is a per use config that reverts Category to General after closing the window.

4. In CONTACTS, is it possible to permanently open Birthday and Anniversay fields for all new contacts and pre-existing contacts that do not already have those fields filled?

In my 9650, those fields were permanently visible.

5. In CONTACTS, is it possible to globally resolve a Work/ Home category issue that occurred during transfer from my 9650 to this Q10?

In CONTACTS, all addresses I've so far reviewed appear as Work addresses no matter how they were categorized in my 9650 prior to transfer.

I'm looking forward to your guidance. Thank you. D

PS. I just attempted SpellCheck on this Q10. It functioned but froze the screen in place, not permitting pinch or any scroll. So, I selected "Ignore" for all suggestions to terminate the function and return to this post without chancing loss of this composition.

Please use plain text.