Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook and Curve 8520

Re: Q10 worst "new" device ever!

I really wanted to like the Q10. I'm not adverse to change. I made my life as a change manager, teaching others about techinical things that would be happening to them, or changes to technical systems. I understand that things need to change sometimes.

But did this? For the life of me, I couldn't understand why some of these changes were being made, EXCEPT for the sake of change, and that's dangerous in a product (and a boardroom). When you have a customer base that can operate your produce in the dark, blindfolded, what is the purpose of making changes so substantial? Is BB really so daft as to think it will EVER complete with Apple? Sure there will be a few users that will switch, but that will be driven by companies forcing that change on them, not by choice.

I returned the Q10 and will stick with my Curve until it dies. Then I'll buy another used one and I'll keep doing that until I have no other option. If BB hasn't come to its senses by then, and restored their unique and marvelous fast and easy 5-buttons that allow 5 times the functionality as all their competition, then I'll be forced to look at the competitiion, because it won't matter anymore. You take away the ONE point of difference that separates BB from your competitors, and the feature that keeps BB users loyal, so you can look like your competition? Did NO ONE do ANY customers research, rather than looking at the market?  

I swear, sometimes I think 18 years olds run companies and are surprised when their businesses go south. CUSTOMER research, not MARKET research. Two different things. New Coke anyone? Q10 is BB's New Coke. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9650 (formerly Q10)

Q10 worst "new" device ever!

Amen. Q10 was an exercise in frustration and time-frittering.

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Mrsoup, you have some legitimate concerns and questions. Are you actually looking for answers, or just venting?

If you want answers I'll be glad to take my time to assist you. But if everything is just going to be "stupid" I don't need to waste your time.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Q10

I would love answers! The venting was necessary to prevent the phone from going in the ocean! I am sure you know and understand how frustrating technology can be! I called berry support for some answers, and the person on the phone knew less than I did!!!! (which was the tipping point for my rant)
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook and Curve 8520

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:
Mrsoup, you have some legitimate concerns and questions. Are you actually looking for answers, or just venting?

If you want answers I'll be glad to take my time to assist you. But if everything is just going to be "stupid" I don't need to waste your time.

I wanted to register my opinion. Had there been an email address to a corporate HQ, I'd have sent it privately, but the "Contact Us" link didn't provide any other method of communicating one's opinion on the subject.  

I truly hope that BB management will get their heads out of their respective **bleep** because I'd hate for all these years of loyalty to be for naught. I have a Playbook and I've had BB phones since year Dot. This was the first time I wasn't thrilled with a new phone and it appears I'm not alone.

And please don't diss my legitimate complaint by lumping it in with folks who just say "The new phone is stupid." I provided reasons for disliking it and hints to manangement where they may have gone wrong. When I returned the phone, the attitude at the store is that I "just needed training." I was a consultant for Fortune 500 companies as a trainer and change manager for 30 years. I was using BB phones before the fellow behind the counter was born. This is NOT a training issue.  I don't need a few questions answered. The issue is that what you're selling is no longer a BB phone. The traits that made it special are gone, so the loyalty I felt are gone too. BB has told its existing customers that it doesn't value what we knew and loved about their phones.  That's their right, but THAT is why people get upset about it. Not because they need a training course or because they're prone to being hostile. You've told them what they know is no longer valuable AND you've taken away a valuable tool. Those are legitimate reasons to vent.

So the long answer to your question is "No." Unless you tell me that BB is going to start make a phone similar to the 9000 series, but faster and cheaper, with more power, and with a bridge to android Apps, then there's nothing you can tell me to cheer me up. That's all the loyal BB customers really want.  I hope BB management changes their minds about the phone design or their company with be gone. 

Mod Edit: Edited content to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use.

Contributor

JSanders wrote:

Sorry, it's not "just stupid".  Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

No one is being rude, I happen to think your use of the word "stupid" is belittling. That's not rude for me to think so.

JSanders wrote:

Guess you don’t practice what you preach!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

The BB Q10 actually I think is a very excellent phone.  The learning curve takes a bit of an adjustment to get used to compared to the former phones with OS7 software.  A number of weeks ago I purchased the Q10,  I ended up taking it back 5 days later back to the store and I swore I'd not touch a phone with the OS10 ever again. 

A colleague of mine has a Q10 which he showed and demonstrated to me one day at lunch.  It's a bit of a different learning curve for us used to the 07 operating system.  BB user's are so used to our reliable OS7 that its difficult to switch and learn something quite new and different.  However after playing with my friends Q10 past the lunch hour I ended up going back to the store and repurchasing the Q10.  I'm glad I did.  Once I calmed down, begin adjusting my mind to be more receptive and less critical towards this new softare I found it was easy for me to easily navigate and utilize it.  Change is hard to accept and adjust to.  I personally think BB could had done a better job of building and stabilizing the new OS10 software before releasing it to the general public, but mistakes happen and BB can only learn from its mistakes and move forward.

The only BIG gripe I have now is synchronizing the BB Q10 with my Outlook 2010 Calendar.  My contacts sync flawlessly with my Q10.  I hope the next BB OS10 software upgrade takes care of that matter.  At least I will keep my fingers crossed. 

The good thing is that Blackberry is coming out with 3 new Blackberry's before year end.  From what I'm reading one of the units will be a big surprise with some added features that will catch BB user's attention.  The new BB's will be using OS7 I'm told. 

Solutions: 6,096
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Mrsoup wrote:
I would love answers!

Let me see which I can respond to here.

Mrsoup wrote:

Why is there no more keypad speed dial? Seriously? Three buttons for speed dial...stupid

Why are there only 3 ring tones and alerts that all sound remarkably the same?

Why when I start typing a name on the home screen does it pull up every iota of info from the web about the name except their contact info in my phone?

• For speed dial, for now, you must touch the Phone app icon AND then touch hold the speed dial key you prefer. Two actions. Changes to that are coming to allow true homescreen speed dialing in a coming OS.

Mrsoup wrote:

Why when I start typing a name on the home screen does it pull up every iota of info from the web about the name except their contact info in my phone?

Because you left ON the option to search the internet resources for more contact details. Open your contacts app > swipe down from the top bezel > Settings > scroll down to Find More Contact Details and turn that OFF.

I'll look over the remainder of your questions in a while.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor
My Device: Classic, Passport

I want back the tracpad and the "back" key!!!

New Contributor

JSANDERS: Thank you for your response, I do appreciate your time and thoughts on these.

1. I know how to use the "speed dial" its just not so speedy.... I am excited to hear that they will be adding the true keypad speed dial soon!

2. thanks for the legacy ringtones i iwll have to check them out!

3. in response to: "Because you left ON the option to search the internet resources for more contact details. Open your contacts app > swipe down from the top bezel > Settings > scroll down to Find More Contact Details and turn that OFF."

I just double checked and it is in fact off.... as is my facebook option and it still pulls them up. Is there something in the main settings perhaps?

On an additional note, is there a quick way to turn on the vibrate or silent option? On my Bold and previous Curves, you just had to press and hold the q/# key and it would turn on or off vibrate. This was an awesome feature I would LOVE to have back!