Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
Revenga1
My Device: Q10

Question regarding the update mechanism

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

iam new to Blackberry (i have the Q10) and iam very confused about the update mechanism. First: I bought my device straight from Blackberry, not from my service provider Vodafone. On my device runs the firmware: 10.1.0.238.

Whats confusing me is: How do i update my device? There are plenty of bugs like the annoying clack sound on start of a call and after hanging up. In some forum ive read that this problem got solved with a newer firmware (as i have) and other persons confirmed that (i think the firmware was something with 423 at the end, but higher than 238). Now, when i do the "Search for updates" function in the settings, my Q10 says that there is no update available. Version 10.1.0.238 is up to date. How can have some persons a higher firmware as me (ive read something about leaked os versions, what is that, something not official)?

On my iPhone 5 it was very easy cause iTunes told me everytime that theres an update available and i should install it. What confuses me the most is, that some service carrier like the Telekom or Vodafone roll out there own firmware updates (as i understand that), with higher version numbers than 238 (what does the service provider has to do with it?).

As you see, i dont understand these mechanisms, there are so many ways. I think for me is the update via the Settings menu is correct. But why is my version so old? Or is it really the actual firmware version for the Q10?

Please help me, cause iam a real Blackberry newbie (as you can see).

Thanks a lot. :Clap:

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Question regarding the update mechanism

Indeed, your phone will notify you when there is an update offered by your carrier.  There may be many newer updates offered by other carriers but until your carrier has got the update, tested it and finally has released it, your phone (or BlackBerry Link) won't show it as being available.  If you wish to, you can load an OS update from any other carrier in the world but be advised that it comes with risks and you'll get no technical support whatsoever from your carrier if you choose to do so.

Seeing as you're new to BlackBerry (and welcome aboard, by the way), I would suggest just waiting it out until your carrier releases an update.  If that's just not possible, look in these forums for threads detailing how to load another carrier's OS to your phone.  In the meantime, reloading your current OS to your phone sometimes irons out kinks.  To do that, plug your phone in to your PC and open BlackBerry Link.  Click your phone at the bottom of the software then click Restore.  Choose the most recent restore point and load it.

I hope I've helped you.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
Revenga1
My Device: Q10

Re: Question regarding the update mechanism

[ Edited ]

Hey thanks :Cool2: ... Is there really no way to get the firmware straight from Blackberry? I really dont know what Vodafone (my carrier) has to do with it. I mean, this device was bought directly through Amazon. Its not an mobile contract device. So i dont understand what Vodafone needs to test. For me it looks like Vodafone patches its own things into the firmware. So now i have a big Vodafone Logo onscreen when i shutdown or start the device. Why does Blackberry go over the carrier instead releasing a vanilla BB10 firmware for non contract mobiles?

@edit: By the way, can please someone explain me what these leaked Blackberry OS's are? Is it the vanilla (no carrier) BB10 OS update? Will i loose guarantee when i install such an update? Because that Vodafone does its own adjustments on my device is an absolute no-go to me.