Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

New Contributor
manant155
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-5

Regarding the password system

Just got my Q10 today, my first "real" smartphone( I have an iphone 3gs, but it does not have a sim card) and I'm loving it!  However, one thing that is a cause of concern to me is the password system, is it true that after "10 failed attempts" the phone will wipe itself?  If it does, is there any way to "turn off" this "feature? This causes me concern because my group of friends arent very mature and they often took my 3gs and "locked it" by entering the wrong password multiple times. This wasnt too concerning for my 3gs, as I didnt have the "wipe phone after 10 failed password attempts" feature set on, however on my new Q10 I hear there is no way to turn "it" off. Thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
vfk
My Device: Q10

Re: Regarding the password system

While you are waiting for an answer...

• does turning off the password count?  Then again, your mature friends can introduce a password themselves
  • I recommend you "backup" your blackberry weekly, this way you can do a restore with minimal pain.
  • you are aware there is a "security wipe" feature they can activate if you choose NOT to put in a password
  • perhaps it's easier to get a belt holster to keep the phone close to you.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
manant155
My Device: BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-5

Re: Regarding the password system

My friends are dicks(aren't all high-school students?) but they wouldn't purposefully try to wipe my phone. My reason for concern is that while they try "hacking in" they will use up the 10 attempts and accidentally get my phone wiped, which is why i'm curious as to whether it can be "turned off". I'll take your advice about the backup, does the phone automatically back itself up, or do I have to do it myself? I have a belt holster, but I don't normally wear pants that require a belt, or are "belt compatible", I also hear it's a "nerdy" thing to wear... Thanks for the speedy reply!
Please use plain text.