Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Q10

Contributor
bryonmoyer
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

SMS changing to MMS - sender duplication

I have now had two SMS threads convert to MMS irreversibly - I have to end (= delete) the chats if I ever want to be able to send another SMS message to this person. To head off the usual advice, yes, I've checked the text settings, and it is set to send text-only messages to SMS, so that's not the issue.

Here's what seems to happen. I will have a text history with someone, and then for some unknown reason, a text coming in will show two senders - both the same person. But because it sees it as multiple people, it has to switch to MMS mode. There's no way to take the second version of the person off the thread.

I asked one of the people that this happened with whether she actually received two responses from me (one to each version of her). She said that she actually did, only they were empty. Which is odd... When this switch happened, I think I got two texts from her - one empty, the next one not.

So somehow the Q10 seems to be reconginizng that a text belongs in the same existing thread, but it gets confused about the sender.

Any ideas? Or at the very least, I'd love for BB to get this info and make a fix in an upcoming update (hopefully soon). Let me know if there's any other info I can provide to help solve the issue.

Thanks,

Bryon

(Service provider: Verizon - in case it matters)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9
My Device: BlackBerry Q10

Re: SMS changing to MMS - sender duplication

I've had the same problem and I tried all possible fixes (restart, network registration, restore to factory settings and so on). The only thing that solved the problem was a security wipe and a fresh install with an OS autoloader. Not really a fix, I felt like a no-brainer but this worked for me.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bryonmoyer

Just happened again...

Anybody from BB?

Beuller?

Please use plain text.
LSW
New Contributor
LSW

Did the security wipe cause any problems besides the inconvenience of resetting email? Is it necessary to do a fresh install after the wipe? If so, would you share the steps you took to do the OS autoloader? (Can it restore to the previous version of the OS before the upgrade that caused these problems?) Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9

1. A simple wipe should do the job. Please save first all important data and create a backup. After wiping the device try to restore all data using sync; usually, restoring from backup also restores some problems :smileywink:

2. If it is not working that way use an autoloader to install the OS version you lilke (see: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-10-OS-Device-Software/Upgrading-OS10-devices-using... After install, perform a wipe and proceed to data restore (preferably not from backup). It is also possible that the backup procedure would not work for some combinations of installed OS vs. Backup OS so, be prepare to have data stored also in other formats.
3. You can use a leaked OS version, it is not ideal since there are a lot of bugs in some versions - I cannot advise you to use or avoid such a strategy, it is up to you to decide knowing risks vs. Benefits.

I hope plan 1 works for you, it is simpler and less time consuming. Bon chance!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bryonmoyer

Just to clarify, does this wipe eliminate the problem permanently? Or just get various threads out of MMS mode? I've taken to ending the chats. The downside is that I lose the conversation and history, but new chats will (for a while, anyway), be back to SMS mode.

Does your more drastic step mean that this never happens again?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Andu9

It never happened to me since fresh install and wipe. I was then on the OS version before the OS 10.1 MR (I can't remember the numbers). Since then, everything in the message area works as it supposed to work: you can choose SMS or MMS and the behaviour is logical and predictable. I think there are some 3rd party apps that can save your SMS history ($ needed) or, you should try a restore from backup to see if the SMS are recovered (didn't work for me at that time but worked later).
Please use plain text.